DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold weather flying

I was trying to chase some deer away from my driveway with the Mavic
Deer don’t chase well
71bcacb1b9b2e3ad85b812d7163b92fe.jpg
83456fefca199e94003125840fb279e3.jpg

I think you’ve been feeding that one.... it’s not going anywhere.
Ha ha...[emoji3]

Reactions: NinjaNut
So it's 3 degrees F this morning warming to maybe 17 degrees F this afternoon. Just curious about how cold some of you folks have flown your Mavic.
I flew my Phantom 3 A last year when it was maybe 20 degrees with no problem.

Happy flights[emoji106]
I live in northern Ontario and did my first flight on the 27th of December when it was -24C/-11F no problems at all except frozen hands. I took my second flight a couple of days later at -26C/-15F. I flew from in the house and still no issues.
Happy flying

It's hopeless, some people just like being the first and starting threads. That being said, I am really sick and tired of being grounded because of the cold weather.

If you had actually read this thread rather than make snarky comments you would see from it that you don’t have to be grounded by the cold weather.
Go outside and fly the thing

If you had actually read this thread rather than make snarky comments you would see from it that you don’t have to be grounded by the cold weather.
Go outside and fly the thing
Please refrain from saying things designed to create a flame war. Polite and civil, thanks.

The air is more dense hence the louder prop noise. -21f (-29c) this morning and flight times remain the same taking off from my back deck 23 minutes landing with 28% remaining.
26116100_10208067593928263_5479853123859389733_o.jpg

wow! -29c?? ****.. how about windchill? I'm planning on flying on the weekend when it "warms" up to -5c -ish.. :)

Here are some very cool, very cold weather shots that I really like. In one shot, my buddy drove his truck while I flew from the passenger seat. At -10 C I flew for 20.5 minutes and landed with 28% battery left.

Great video! Did you notice any loss of signal (RC - MP) from inside the car? Windows closed? I have heated wind screen which may block/reduce signal/communication with AC?

Interesting re- Noise, flew yesterday, -36 degrees, Mavic sounded so different in the air, much prop noise, i thought she was complaining re- the cold. I lasted maybe, 6-7 minutes, my fingers just go numb!

Interesting re- Noise, flew yesterday, -36 degrees, Mavic sounded so different in the air, much prop noise, i thought she was complaining re- the cold. I lasted maybe, 6-7 minutes, my fingers just go numb!

Yes cold weather increases the prop noise. Try flying from inside your heated car or truck, works great. Someone flys looking though the picture window in their house.

Happy flying[emoji2]

I don't know if the 16 degree temp had anything with several hairline cracks developing in the body (on top) but I know the Mavic sits in a warm to hot toasty house and I may go in and out of the house several times in a day. Its strange that the hairline cracks never happened when only flying in the summer months. Anyway, I took pics and sent them to DJI CS and they said they will repair under DJI Care. The support tech. believes that the going back and forth from hot to freezing cold may had a good chance of those types of crack developing.

Reactions: Partizans
I don't know if the 16 degree temp had anything with several hairline cracks developing in the body (on top) but I know the Mavic sits in a warm to hot toasty house and I may go in and out of the house several times in a day. Its strange that the hairline cracks never happened when only flying in the summer months. Anyway, I took pics and sent them to DJI CS and they said they will repair under DJI Care. The support tech. believes that the going back and forth from hot to freezing cold may had a good chance of those types of crack developing.

Good to know that. I believe your the first to mention that problem.

Not cold in here! Out side maybe! If you have a vehicle, you can fly all year long! LOL! Truck flight 1.jpgTruck flight 2.jpg

Reactions: MQuinn
Ya got green grass and leaves on the trees, and talking about cold... I live and fly
26232722_10208088315446288_3743208792000087563_o.jpg
where +0f temp could be a week away and the sun looks like this

Yeah,that picture was just for a reference! Everything now is bare and brown! currently 3 above!
LOL!

Reactions: MQuinn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven