DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold weather flying

Latenite

Reactions
While I'm not trying to rush the seasons, I'm looking forward to winter flying. I've a plan for keeping the batteries, remote, and tablet warm as well as a way to transition from the cold into the house after flying.

I'm curious about cold air condensation on the electronics and motors during flight and battery swap. Is this something I need to keep tabs on? Currently I've three batteries and I can't forsee adding more than one additional. My toes won't make it more than an hour on frozen ground, so I won't be spending half a day outside.

Thoughts anyone?

Cold air condensation will be offset in any of the vital components within 1 minute of the drone being powered up. Evrything inside the drone is insulated with a conformal coating, so it's weatherproof, but not waterproof. You cant dunk it in the water, but it can withstand some condensation.

The core and FC ESC boards are fine in any temps above freezing, the motors perform better in cooler weather as long as theres no ice in there, and the gimbal is a pretty sealed unit.

The answer to frozen toes is simple. Heated socks (and gloves). I used to ride my Honda Goldwing all winter, and people would think I was insane. Little did they know that under my jacket, I was wearing Gerbings heated vest, gloves, pants and socks.

You can buy any kind of heated clothing at most sporting goods stores. Hunters swear by them.

Last edited:
In winter, if the weather is not above 40f and clear, I just don't fly outside. Plain and simple. Which means, I will be grounded for two to three months. December to March... Depends how bad it last the very cold temperatures.

Reactions: Former Member
Macoman, typically I would agree. However, south central PA has its moments of cold weather beauty. Sunny mornings after ice storms and mostly unspoiled open field snow drifts are amazing. I'm usually off the day(s) after, so I figured I'd take advantage.

Reactions: sjnovakovich
Macoman, typically I would agree. However, south central PA has its moments of cold weather beauty. Sunny mornings after ice storms and mostly unspoiled open field snow drifts are amazing. I'm usually off the day(s) after, so I figured I'd take advantage.

Then there are days like yesterday. I looked at Accuweather's forecast in the morning and since they weren't calling for rain I thought I'd do a little flying. Charged the batteries and as soon as I got outside it started to pour. Off and on rain all day.

Reactions: Former Member
Condensation is a bigger problem when you bring electronics in from the outside. The unit is cold and as soon as you hit the warmer air inside your house, the condensation starts. The dewpoint (think water moisture content) outside in the winter is usually low so not much water to condense out.

I have been an amateur photographer all my life and the time-proven drill when you've had your equipment outside in the winter is to put the camera and lenses (or drone in this case) in a zip lock bag and squeeze the air out while you are outside. Bring the camera in and let it warm up to room temperature for an hour or so before unbagging it. That way the warm moist air never comes in contact with the cold camera.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
this guy flys his Mavic Air in the Arctic circle..

Those were the days. People used to look at me like I lost my mind.
YEP I rode yr round in NH 20K a year for over 20 years, if the roads were clear I rode and sometimes I got caught in asnow storm.I plan to flyin the col too

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckp