DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Collision avoidance warnings for no reason?

Chasing Light & Shadows

Reactions
Was flying yesterday evening around 150m above take off but within legal limits of surrounding landscape, no obstacles near by and was flying in open space at the time. The obstacle avoidance bars or whatever they are (green and yellow) where being displayed in the app around the cross-hair.

Can't work out why this was happening, I've never noticed this happening with the original Mavic, is this normal when flying in low light? There where no birds and I think it was a bit too high up for bats (not an expert on them though!).

Has anyone got any ideas? Uploaded the flight log if anyone can help.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Cheers,

D.

The wind is what sets off all the obstacle warnings for me..it persistently warns me the attitude of the drone has caused the obstacle avoidance to not work, and tells me so much, I have to stop the drone and go inside the app and turn it off..these are all in winds of 5-15mph at 200+ ft...never has any DJI drone had so many warnings and it’s driving me nuts..how many friggin warnings can DJI put on the screen for us? It’s almost degrading to think we need it..maybe it’s for insurance reasons..DJI is a shifty company!

The wind is what sets off all the obstacle warnings for me..it persistently warns me the attitude of the drone has caused the obstacle avoidance to not work, and tells me so much, I have to stop the drone and go inside the app and turn it off..these are all in winds of 5-15mph at 200+ ft...never has any DJI drone had so many warnings and it’s driving me nuts..how many friggin warnings can DJI put on the screen for us? It’s almost degrading to think we need it..maybe it’s for insurance reasons..DJI is a shifty company!

Thanks, that puts it into a bit of perspective that it wasn't something wrong with the drone. It seemed to happen as the light faded and the wind speed was reported to be 3mph so not really anything that should set off the alerts.
For a moment I thought I was near a tree or a bird of prey was close by, it was really distracting and interrupted my plans for the flight. Stupid if we have to ignore these warnings, the boy who cried wolf springs to mind. I'll just turn them off I guess.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Were they solid green? If so this is normal when the sensors are on. There is nothing in the log that complains of any other issue with the sensors, other than the warning about low light 5 seconds before you actually landed...

Were they solid green? If so this is normal when the sensors are on. There is nothing in the log that complains of any other issue with the sensors, other than the warning about low light 5 seconds before you actually landed...

Had a normal view through the camera and then they would flicker on and off (yellow and green) as if I was near something. I couldn't see anything in the log either. I'm guessing it should say something when the sensors warn you. If it happens again I'll do a screen recording, only had the drone a few days.

Cheers.

Has nothing to do with wind at all, it's that you are flying into or nearly into the sun. The low light rays interfere with the VPS and trick the drone into thinking their is an obstacle in the way therefore triggering the warning. When really bad it will even cause Mavic to come to an abrupt stop as if it has detected an obstacle.
When flying in these conditions and constantly in the direction towards sun it is advisable to turn VPS to stop this happening.

Reactions: CarlStarke
Has nothing to do with wind at all, it's that you are flying into or nearly into the sun. The low light rays interfere with the VPS and trick the drone into thinking their is an obstacle in the way therefore triggering the warning. When really bad it will even cause Mavic to come to an abrupt stop as if it has detected an obstacle.
When flying in these conditions and constantly in the direction towards sun it is advisable to turn VPS to stop this happening.

Thats not true at all..When your at altitude and the drone is pitched too far because of high winds, the M2 warns you that the obstacle avoidance system has been turned off and goes full red..It resets as soon as it levels out but will give another warning immediately following..This happens persistently until you turn it off internally..I'm also aware of the sun problem but its MUCH better than it was on the M1..This is not a sun problem.

Was flying yesterday evening around 150m above take off but within legal limits of surrounding landscape, no obstacles near by and was flying in open space at the time. The obstacle avoidance bars or whatever they are (green and yellow) where being displayed in the app around the cross-hair.

Can't work out why this was happening, I've never noticed this happening with the original Mavic, is this normal when flying in low light? There where no birds and I think it was a bit too high up for bats (not an expert on them though!).

Has anyone got any ideas? Uploaded the flight log if anyone can help.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Cheers,

D.

Try calibrating the sensors in the dji Assistant. I used to have random warnings just like you but no more.

good luck

In my instance the sun had already gone down and virtually no wind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916