DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Combine fire in Illinois corn field

I see a lot of great discussion here and I agree that there is a fine line between getting that great capture and interfering with the scene. After responding to scenes as a firefighter/medic I have seen my share of good intentions gone wrong. Rest assured I would not fly anywhere around anybody's scene other than our own. My years of experience and relationship with the department as a retiree give me some credibility. Also if an aerial apparatus is to be used I would use extreme prejudice and I will absolutely not fly over motor vehicle accidents.
Also want to chime in here to support what you've said. If anyone's goal is to obtain the "great capture" then for sure, this is never going to be a legitimate reason for flying a drone. Under no circumstances should this be permitted. Thoughts?

Reactions: ffemt1977

I was a volunteer for this department for 42 years and when safe to do so I capture aerial footage of the fires.
@ffemt1977 Very good of you to share this experience with us. Thanks

I see a lot of great discussion here and I agree that there is a fine line between getting that great capture and interfering with the scene. After responding to scenes as a firefighter/medic I have seen my share of good intentions gone wrong. Rest assured I would not fly anywhere around anybody's scene other than our own. My years of experience and relationship with the department as a retiree give me some credibility. Also if an aerial apparatus is to be used I would use extreme prejudice and I will absolutely not fly over motor vehicle accidents.
Hey ffemt1977, just stumbled across your awesome footage of this all too common occurrence. As an illinois farm boy myself I’ve seen equipment and field fires all too often…from the ground. So your video was most appreciated! I was trying to guess which part of illinois, but since random fields with the occasional white painted farmhouses & outbuildings are ALL over the state, I had no idea. Lol. I’m located in south central, about halfway between Spfld and STL. Lots of my Air2S shots are of the same thing…minus the burning $400k combine. 😳
Thanks for sharing this!

Hey ffemt1977, just stumbled across your awesome footage of this all too common occurrence. As an illinois farm boy myself I’ve seen equipment and field fires all too often…from the ground. So your video was most appreciated! I was trying to guess which part of illinois, but since random fields with the occasional white painted farmhouses & outbuildings are ALL over the state, I had no idea. Lol. I’m located in south central, about halfway between Spfld and STL. Lots of my Air2S shots are of the same thing…minus the burning $400k combine. 😳
Thanks for sharing this!
LaSalle County. I am familiar with your neck of the woods as my mothers folks came from Piasa, Gillespie and Jerseyville.

Reactions: PerBrn217
I know but not much on public speaking. Thank you for your kind words.
I'm not sure voice documentary would help. It's pretty clear what is happening. What would the voiceover say? "There is a combine on fire in a cornfield. The fire department is putting it out. There is a lot of smoke. And there is the combine laying in ashes. I wonder if that smoke smells like roasted corn. Yum, I'm hungry." :) Great footage. Thanks for sharing.

Good footage. Not sure what you are implying but in America, anyone with a camera can gather and publish a newsworthy story, no license required. In our 1st Amendment, freedom of the press means a citizen journalist or independent media (who may or may not issue their own license) has every right to cover matters of public interest without permission from the government. Usually the followup to such a question is do you have a permit to engage in such activity and the answer is usually almost always "don't need one." But I realize you just threw that question out there for a reason....

Except, and you can correct me if I'm wrong here, but regulations dictate that pilots are not to fly around emergency situations. It can interfere with any aerial assistance that may be needed. I'm assuming that OP, being that he is working with the emergency support, has some clearance to film this. Has their knowledge and is aware of the situation and what support might be involved as things progress. That is just an assumption.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom