DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Combine fire in Illinois corn field

Incredible footage , could use some voice documentary to get a better understanding of what happened. as some parts look like a UFO crashed first.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Reactions: camel and ffemt1977
Good footage. Are you able to feed into the fire control.? That'd be a real asset on small fires like this.

Reactions: ffemt1977
Incredible footage. Our local Fire Department uses a heat seeking drone to find hot spots in a blaze to enable them to concentrate their efforts better. Looks like there was minimal crop damage, which is good. Thanks for posting!

nice footage mate out of interest are you licenced media?
(ducks out of way)
Good footage. Not sure what you are implying but in America, anyone with a camera can gather and publish a newsworthy story, no license required. In our 1st Amendment, freedom of the press means a citizen journalist or independent media (who may or may not issue their own license) has every right to cover matters of public interest without permission from the government. Usually the followup to such a question is do you have a permit to engage in such activity and the answer is usually almost always "don't need one." But I realize you just threw that question out there for a reason....

Last edited by a moderator:
Good footage. Not sure what you are implying but in America, anyone with a camera can gather and publish a newsworthy story, no license required. In our 1st Amendment, freedom of the press means a citizen journalist or independent media (who may or may not issue their own license) has every right to cover matters of public interest without permission from the government. Usually the followup to such a question is do you have a permit to engage in such activity and the answer is usually almost always "don't need one." But I realize you just threw that question out there for a reason....
No @Deleted member 177263 is digging because of a banter going back and forth in the thread Sharing drone video with news stations which you've weighed in as well.

@mavic3usa how would your 1st Amendment Right come into play if that crop was destroyed because someone NOT affiliated with the Fire Dept was "gathering a newsworthy story" and the Fire Suppression Aircraft was delayed?

The OP was indeed affiliated (for several decades) this debate in no way reflects on his flight/video what so ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GFields
@mavic3usa how would your 1st Amendment Right come into play if that crop was destroyed because someone NOT affiliated with the Fire Dept was "gathering a newsworthy story" and the Fire Suppression Aircraft was delayed?
Your 1st Amendment right does not give you "license" to break the law and if you do or you damage someone or something in the process, you could be held liable in a court of law just like anyone else.

anyone with a camera can gather and publish a newsworthy story, no license required. In our 1st Amendment, freedom of the press means a citizen journalist or independent media (who may or may not issue their own license) has every right to cover matters of public interest without permission from the government.

The problem here is the suggestion that anyone with a drone (camera), has a right in the US to fly over any "Newsworthy" incident, or matter of "Public" interest. That simply isn't true. And to say it on this forum where a lot of folks are still learning about drone laws, does them a disservice in my opinion.

Drone Pilots (both recreational and 107 rated), should understand that the FAA makes it crystal clear that interfering with emergency response efforts IS a violation of federal law and may well be a violation of local laws as well.

So, the million dollar question becomes "What constitutes Interference"? A simple question with such a complex answer. 99.9% of drone pilots can't answer this; from the point of view of the emergency response operators and therefore: should just consider that any involvement by themselves, in such an event, very well COULD, or WOULD be seen as interference.

So my advice would be - not to encourage chasing fires and disasters hoping to get the scoop with a drone unless you have the proper authority - and a Trust certificate or 107 rating - isn't.

From the FAA DRONE RESPONSE PLAYBOOK FOR PUBLIC SAFETY

Interfere.jpg

The problem here is the suggestion that anyone with a drone (camera), has a right in the US to fly over any "Newsworthy" incident, or matter of "Public" interest. That simply isn't true. And to say it on this forum where a lot of folks are still learning about drone laws, does them a disservice in my opinion.

Drone Pilots (both recreational and 107 rated), should understand that the FAA makes it crystal clear that interfering with emergency response efforts IS a violation of federal law and may well be a violation of local laws as well.

So, the million dollar question becomes "What constitutes Interference"? A simple question with such a complex answer. 99.9% of drone pilots can't answer this; from the point of view of the emergency response operators and therefore: should just consider that any involvement by themselves, in such an event, very well COULD, or WOULD be seen as interference.

So my advice would be - not to encourage chasing fires and disasters hoping to get the scoop with a drone unless you have the proper authority - and a Trust certificate or 107 rating - isn't.

From the FAA DRONE RESPONSE PLAYBOOK FOR PUBLIC SAFETY

View attachment 169069
Agreed, don't interfere. I shouldn't have to say that but I guess I should do. DO NOT INTERFERE. Do your news gathering without interfering; there's a way. That's goes for whomever you are whether you are CNN, FOX, or Joe Public. I am not a lawyer so that's the extent I will go with my opinion on this sensitive issue; thanks.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
^In addition to the above, I would like to add that I know there are some who believe any drone flown in any emergency situation without explicit authorization from the authorities is automatically considered interference....for various reasons. I get that doing so presents all kinds of issues and according to many laws, it could be a crime. Understood. Safety is always first.

Agreed, don't interfere. I shouldn't have to say that but I guess I should do. DO NOT INTERFERE. Do your news gathering without interfering; there's a way. That's goes for whomever you are whether you are CNN, FOX, or Joe Public. I am not a lawyer so that's the extent I will go with my opinion on this sensitive issue; thanks.

But that is the point I am trying to make, a drone pilot not involved directly at the scene they are filming or photographing, cannot get into the mind of the scene commander of whatever response they're covering. They cannot possibly know what constitutes "interference"

Whoever's in charge on the ground (be it fire or police or whatever); it will be their personal assessment as to whether or not they've been interfered with. Just the sight of a drone in the air could be all it takes. And there is no arguing their assessment. If they call it interference - it is.

But that is the point I am trying to make, a drone pilot not involved directly at the scene they are filming or photographing, cannot get into the mind of the scene commander of whatever response they're covering. They cannot possibly know what constitutes "interference"

Whoever's in charge on the ground (be it fire or police or whatever); it will be their personal assessment as to whether or not they've been interfered with. Just the sight of a drone in the air could be all it takes. And there is no arguing their assessment. If they call it interference - it is.

Agreed, sorry you didn't see my late addition to the post just before yours. If they interfere, it becomes a legal matter, and....

I am not a lawyer so that's the extent I will go with my opinion on this sensitive issue; thanks.

Interfering is nothing new (we've seen it in all types of situations); nobody likes it, nobody wants it, I agree those who unlawfully interfere should be held accountable whether they are interfering, obstruction, or in any way shape or form stopping the authorities from carrying out their lawful duties. It's always been that way....still is to my knowledge.

^In addition to the above, I would like to add that I know there are some who believe any drone flown in any emergency situation without explicit authorization from the authorities is automatically considered interference for various reasons. I get that doing so presents all kinds of issues and according to many laws, it could be a crime. Understood.
;) We typed at the same time, just wanted to add one more thing.

I am not affiliated or accredited as SAR or emergency response but I am on the resource list of my local fire stations for Hurricane Damage Assessment.

But even having that relationship does not give me authority to fly over events such as wrecks or fires. Doing so would require on scene coordination. I know the battalion commander and am personal friends with a Lieutenant of my local station and I am pretty sure if they had a drone over any of their scenes they would not be happy.

;) We typed at the same time, just wanted to add one more thing.

I am not affiliated or accredited as SAR or emergency response but I am on the resource list of my local fire stations for Hurricane Damage Assessment.

But even having that relationship does not give me authority to fly over events such as wrecks or fires. Doing so would require on scene coordination. I know the battalion commander and am personal friends with a Lieutenant of my local station and I am pretty sure if they had a drone over any of their scenes they would not be happy.
Yes for sure, I wouldn't be happy either. Under no circumstances should your drone (or my drone) be flying over the emergency events in progress. The document you posted makes it clear to everyone that you should not interfere. Suggestions?

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I see a lot of great discussion here and I agree that there is a fine line between getting that great capture and interfering with the scene. After responding to scenes as a firefighter/medic I have seen my share of good intentions gone wrong. Rest assured I would not fly anywhere around anybody's scene other than our own. My years of experience and relationship with the department as a retiree give me some credibility. Also if an aerial apparatus is to be used I would use extreme prejudice and I will absolutely not fly over motor vehicle accidents.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom