DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Comments you get while flying your drone

I get so absorbed with flying that I try to position myself away from observers and their questions as they take my attention from flying the drone.

Last edited:
I was flying yesterday in a fairly public situation and for not the first time I noticed that so many people swagger on up to you and say: sweet, does that thing like take good pictures?, You know there was this guy that crashed one of those on the whitehouse lawn eh?, they call that a “drone” right?, I got a Mavic Pro back at home (FYI), can you put that on Facebook?

My answer: Just give me a sec plz I’m just getting this shot, i don’t have Facebook, and I don’t fly at the whitehouse.

Ok, your turn what are some things people say, ask, or do when yer trying to fly yer drone?
I see that everywhere is the same. No matter in what country ...[emoji3][emoji106]

Reactions: Mav.phant.inspire
You'd actually let some stranger fly it?? I can't imagine doing that. My wife doesn't even get to fly mine! Of course, she doesn't actually want to so... [emoji57] [emoji2]
My 2nd encounter with a flying club I was watching a guy fly a 3d $4000 plane he was freaking good ... He landed and we talked awhile, then he asked me if I would like to try out flying broke out a trainer and spent the next two hours with me and a trainer..... My third visit I had my own trainer, membership to the club and AMA

The one that I get rarely is " Is that a drone" . It takes every cell in my being to not come back with a snarky answer.

I think I will be telling those that ask that question.
"No its not its a super capable micro human transport device and I am just dropping off passengers"
Then invent some story about wealthy human participants that have been shrunken down in size to be able to become passengers.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I should have wore this today flying over the river filming the rapids. I had about 10 people gather to look. I was on edge waiting for an anti drone comment, but nope, all were positive and genuinely curious!

Was it you at Gatwick/Heathrow airporto_O:mad:
Can I have a look at your screen to see what the drone sees:cool:
How easy are they to fly;)
Should you be flying that here:rolleyes:o_O
How much does it cost;)
Is that a maverick :rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O bloody maverick.....:oops:
Do you need a license:rolleyes:
How far can it go:)

I always land my drone while being questioned, I’m a man I can’t multitask..... plus it’s better to be safeThumbswayup
Maverick?!:D

Reactions: Porky
My 2nd encounter with a flying club I was watching a guy fly a 3d $4000 plane he was freaking good ... He landed and we talked awhile, then he asked me if I would like to try out flying broke out a trainer and spent the next two hours with me and a trainer..... My third visit I had my own trainer, membership to the club and AMA
Wow that's awesome! You make a good point, although I'm not sure I could do it! At least these are much easier to fly than that plane, generally speaking! Something to think about...

Wow that's awesome! You make a good point, although I'm not sure I could do it! At least these are much easier to fly than that plane, generally speaking! Something to think about...
R/C remotes have a port that allows a second pilot to tie in and fly with you the primary can take over at any point. I didn't fly the 3d bird he had a much cheaper (relatively speaking) trainer plane that he let me fly, but yes it was very awesome. Phil was a great guy that always was trying to bring new people to the hobby.

Reactions: TheWolfen
The one that I get rarely is " Is that a drone" . It takes every cell in my being to not come back with a snarky answer.

I think I will be telling those that ask that question.
"No its not its a super capable micro human transport device and I am just dropping off passengers"
Then invent some story about wealthy human participants that have been shrunken down in size to be able to become passengers.
LOL!!

Reactions: BD0G
R/C remotes have a port that allows a second pilot to tie in and fly with you the primary can take over at any point. I didn't fly the 3d bird he had a much cheaper (relatively speaking) trainer plane that he let me fly, but yes it was very awesome. Phil was a great guy that always was trying to bring new people to the hobby.
Yep! That makes flying a lot easier and safer, that's for sure, especially compared to the 3d bird! Perhaps with the right person, using beginner mode and careful instruction might make it possible to introduce someone new to this terrific hobby. Helping people learn how much fun our UAVs are to fly the right way is always a good thing.

Reactions: Mav.phant.inspire
I have had about every question listed in the thread and then some. The observant through to the idiotic, I honestly can't remember them all now. I always try and be totally positive simply as an investment in the future of the hobby / industry. We are getting so much bad press currently that every little bit helps. I keep telling myself "Remember Ari, we're all ambassadors".

Edit:- The one question I always correct is the "is it a drone" one. I always answer "well, people call them that but they're not a drone, they don't control themsleves, it has a pilot which is me. It's a Remotely Piloted Aircraft"

I've been flying R/C for almost 30 years and although I'm no longer a member of the local club (can't stand personality politics) I fly all four modes and was as an instructor for quite a number of years and used to do all the inverted flight components in the aerobatic displays on club open days. So, with dealing with learners or during displays with the inverted control throws, talking and coordinating with the other pilots in the display and keeping up a commentary to the crowd through the headset mic and the P.A. system that I always seemed to end up with while actually doing the display I got fairly used to multitasking meaning unless I am doing something really mission critical I don't mind being approached so much (even though I'm usually wearing a reflective high vis that says "Certified Remote Pilot, Aviaition Ref number XXXXXX, stay 30M clear") lol

If someone walks up to me when I'm flying with questions I'll generally tell them to "please stand right behind my left shoulder and when I turn or move please move so as to stay there, I've got another x minutes flying time and I'll be happy to answer any questions when I've landed".

I fly using a 9.7" tablet and a harness so they get a good view of the screen over my shoulder and I just give them a running commentary explaining what the display is telling me and what I am doing at every step.

Once I land I field all the usual questions but the question that usually has the most impact is the the question I ask them if I have the time which is. "Would you like to have a go?". That usually leads to my next favourite question "do you think I would be able to without crashing it?"

Because I rarely take jobs in suburbia the surrounds are usually suitable to give some instruction so once I've convinced them that they can do it I break one of the sparks out of the car (I have 4 in inventory) and give them a couple of batteries worth of instruction. Last count I have brought five or six people into the hobby.

Interestingly enough two couples over 70 who saw them as the perfect flying camera to compliment their "grey nomad" retirement lifestyle and record all their travels. I gave each of them my business card, set them up with a Spark through my usual supplier (there by earning brownie points with him) and in both cases gave each a couple of hours instruction and drummed the regulations into them ..win win win.

I've always enjoyed teaching kids to fly and as I've said before, sometimes it's the "pensioner kids" that are the best value as far as fun factor for me. I've let kids as young as 12 fly the sparks with parental permission without a single issue. All those video games make them so quick to pick it up I guess. To date no one has ever pranged while under my instruction ... it'll happen eventually I suppose .. that's why I have backup machines and insurance.

Yes, I've had a couple of negative encounters but those type have already made their mind up before they walk up to you. Nothing you can say is going to persuade them otherwise. I try to be civil even to them but if they want it to be ugly well, I may not be a spring chicken any more but I'm retired Special Projects, 6'4", 265lbs in the old imperial and that previous life an un armed combat instructor so I can generally hose them down fairly quickly without having to actually resort to any physical action. It's just never my "default mindset" to be that way, I only go there if they make me and they're out of my mind as soon as they are out of sight.

Everyone who approaches me with an open mind, which is the vast majority of people, I've managed to leave with a smile and a better and more informed opinion of what we do for a hobby / living. If they approach you out of honest curiosity then they really respond to being taken at face value

Yes, I have my days when I just want to be left alone to get on with it but honestly a lot of the good encounters leave me feeling on a high and more positive than when I was approached.

My take, answer the questions and feel the good vibes whenever possible. You make them happy, you feel better and you do the hobby/industry a big service

Regards
Ari

Well, I'm with the guy who suggested that we be ambassadors, not the guy who finished by saying "He hates people". (I'm sure that was a humorous statement, anyway.) I thoroughly enjoy visiting with people (I'm just a people person anyway). I've yet to meet anyone who was a jerk. They're just curious. for the most part. They are always amazed when I show them a precision landing (hey, so am I :)). I always mention the 24 on-board processors and all the sensors, and, of course, the 4K camera.

If you are on a job and concentrating, that would be different, of course. But when my wife and I are out just playing with our pro and shooting video, it's a lot of fun to show people what the little bird can do. When they ask how high it flies, etc. I'm always sure to mention the law just to let them know I take the law seriously.

And yes, I do make a point of keeping my eyes on the bird while talking to them . My objective is to make sure that they have a good impression of drones and the people who fly them when they leave. I want them to know that I'm just like them. Besides, I love people.....

I did have someone wander up and ask what was on the end of the remote controller, so I just answered ME!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc