DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Commercial airline pilots and the threat of drones

Former Member

Reactions
We have a bunch of airline and military pilots in the forum and they have my utmost respect. When I see or hear of a reckless or ignorant drone pilot making a confirmed flight over restricted airspace, I dont only think, "Oh, now this is gonna ruin it for me. Here come more drone restrictions" Actually, the first thing that concerns me is for the welfare of the aircrew and passengers of the incoming and outgoing flights, whose lives were put in jeopardy by this whimsical drone owner. Not only that, but it has a trickle down effect of stressing out every person connected to that flight until and after it arrives safely at its gate and deplanes. ATC, flight attendants, rescue crews on the ground, airport police and security are only a fraction who have themselves invested in the safe return of the flights at the airport.

Not only does the drone owner put their safety in jeopardy, but it costs the airlines money as well. Diverting a 747 heavy due to some dummy flying over class B airspace might make planes divert to airports further away, if they have enough fuel to do it.

Imagine youre the captain of an overseas flight, and after 12 hours of flying, you're on final in a dirty configuration. ATC comes on and says to go around because they have an unidentified aircraft in your flight path. Hopefully, the aircraft has enough fuel to go around and hold until the emergency has cleared and possibly have to divert to a nearby airport. Air traffic will be on hold. The pilot will need to reset all of his flight planning to deal with the emergency. ATC, who are busy enough, will have to keep planes holding far away until the emergency clears. All this because one irresponsible pilot decides to get a closeup of a 747 on final.

I welcome new regulations that will prohibit, fine, and possibly jail people who violate other peoples safety and financial wellbeing.

Cpl Thunderdrones
Drone Police

Last edited:
We have a bunch of airline and military pilots in the forum and they have my utmost respect. When I see or hear of a reckless or ignorant drone pilot making a confirmed flight over restricted airspace, I dont only think, "Oh, now this is gonna ruin it for me. Here some more drone restrictions" Actually, the first thing that concerns me is for the welfare of the aircrew and passengers of the incoming and outgoing flights, whose lives were put in jeopardy by this whimsical drone owner. Not only that, but it has a trickle down effect of stressing out every person connected to that flight until and after it arrives safely at its gate and deplanes. ATC, flight attendants, rescue crews on the ground, airport police and security are only a fraction who have themselves invested in the safe return of the flights at the airport.

Not only does the drone owner put their safety in jeopardy, but it costs the airlines money as well. Diverting a 747 heavy due to some dummy flying over class B airspace might make planes divert to airports further away, if they have enough fuel to do it.

Imagine youre the captain of an overseas flight, and after 12 hours of flying, you're on final in a dirty configuration. ATC comes on and says to go around because they have an unidentified aircraft in your flight path. Hopefully, the aircraft has enough fuel to go around and possibly have to divert to a nearby airport. Air traffic will be on hold. The pilot will need to reset all of his flight planning to deal with the emergency. ATC, who are busy enough, will have to keep planes holding far away until the emergency clears. All this because one irresponsible pilot decides to get a closeup of a 747 on final.

I welcome new regulations that will prohibit, fine, and possibly jail people who violate other peoples safety and financial wellbeing.

Cpl Thunderdrones
Drone Police

Fortunately, when we were dispatched on a flight, there is communication between the dispatcher and captain regarding the fuel load, much of which was based on weather at the destination. It was also based on field conditions, sometimes aircraft performance, but there was always plenty of fuel for the contingencies such as having to execute an approach, missed approach (or visual go around), flying to an alternate airport, and depending on which part of the FARs we dispatched under, fuel for at least half an hour thereafter. And when all else fails, either under FAR 121 or 91, the FAA grants the pilot in command emergency authority to deviate from any other FAR if that is the safest option. In doing so, you may have some 'splaining to do Lucy, but that is far better than the alternative.

Fortunately, when we were dispatched on a flight, there is communication between the dispatcher and captain regarding the fuel load, much of which was based on weather at the destination. It was also based on field conditions, sometimes aircraft performance, but there was always plenty of fuel for the contingencies such as having to execute an approach, missed approach (or visual go around), flying to an alternate airport, and depending on which part of the FARs we dispatched under, fuel for at least half an hour thereafter. And when all else fails, either under FAR 121 or 91, the FAA grants the pilot in command emergency authority to deviate from any other FAR if that is the safest option. In doing so, you may have some 'splaining to do Lucy, but that is far better than the alternative.

Understood and I agree. I can understand needing to divert for something like a bird strike, or bad weather, but to have to abort an otherwise safe approach because some dummy is looking to monetize his drone Youtube account, is just appalling to me.

In general aviation, I have had to go around many times on fields when an animal was on the runway, and had to hold until the animal was removed. Since drones are hard to pinpoint and harder to apprehend and/or stop the drone pilot, its just more dangerous to airline pilots to have drones anywhere near an airport.

How do you like the idea of some airlines looking at using drones to clean and inspect their aircraft? I have a feeling we are going to be seeing more drone sightings in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
Understood and I agree. I can understand needing to divert for something like a bird strike, or bad weather, but to have to abort an otherwise safe approach because some dummy is looking to monetize his drone Youtube account, is just appalling to me.

I have had to go around many times on fields when an animal was on the runway, and had to hold until the animal was removed. Since drones are hard to pinpoint and harder to apprehend and/or stop the drone pilot, its just more dangerous to airline pilots to have drones anywhere near an airport.

How do you like the idea of some airlines looking at using drones to clean and inspect their aircraft? I have a feeling we are going to be seeing more drone sightings in the near future.

I concur wholeheartedly about your observation about nitwit drone pilots putting their desire for a 'cool' video over the safety of an airliner, or general public. The penalties should be severe for such operation.

As for using drones to inspect aircraft, remember the scenario you posted about the drone pilot who took off from the bed of the pickup truck and the potential for magnetic interference? For the drone to be close enough for a satisfactory inspection, it might be a problem. I can tell you for certain, that airlines are pretty leery about any vehicles around aircraft. It's also not too common to have to inspect those areas on an aircraft where in theory a drone might be handy, like the top surface of an empennage. Far more often, it's inside an E&E compartment or engine cowling that draws most of the scrutiny. Having said that, if they can save money, they'd probably take a look at it.

Reactions: Former Member
I concur wholeheartedly about your observation about nitwit drone pilots putting their desire for a 'cool' video over the safety of an airliner, or general public. The penalties should be severe for such operation.

As for using drones to inspect aircraft, remember the scenario you posted about the drone pilot who took off from the bed of the pickup truck and the potential for magnetic interference? For the drone to be close enough for a satisfactory inspection, it might be a problem. I can tell you for certain, that airlines are pretty leery about any vehicles around aircraft. It's also not too common to have to inspect those areas on an aircraft where in theory a drone might be handy, like the top surface of an empennage. Far more often, it's inside an E&E compartment or engine cowling that draws most of the scrutiny. Having said that, if they can save money, they'd probably take a look at it.

Yes, I think that drones might have their purpose in the less accessible areas of the aircraft, but I dont know of a drone made yet that can open an inspection panel lol

Reactions: globeguy1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder