DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Commercial Drone photos with Pilot under 16

rstyles

Reactions
Looking at giving one of my friends child under 16 an old drone. Friend is a real estate agent. If the child takes real estate photos... how does that work? I'm only going to give the drone provided the family knows this is a serious endeavor, a learner's permit if you will. I'm also going to make sure flights are supervised. Done is an older DJI Phantom 3. I want to know that the Phantom, which is a serious drone and can have some serious consequences is used in a proper manner. Second Idea is to find a scout troop and use this for instruction. Anyone been down this kind of path?

Ok I am somewhat of a cynic but I would be very careful about teaching a Scout troop, if something went wrong I could imaging lawsuits coming thick and fast. Phantom 3 props most definitely bite.

@rstyles ,while your intentions may be just trying to introduce a younger person to the drone hobby,then to be perfectly honest with you, a Phantom 3 is not really the best way to go ,a better way would be to give the person concerned some flying lessons ,with the emphasis on safety ,and drone rules and regs and then based on their abilities ,ask their father to buy a Mini2 size drone ,if they are really interested in drone flying ,

In order for someone to fly outside of recreational rules (under 107), they must be at least 16 years of age. If they want to fly commercial work before that, they must be accompanied by a 107 pilot. They would be "the person manipulating the controls". They can't fly it by themselves for anything other than recreational flights.

Last edited:
Looking at giving one of my friends child under 16 an old drone. Friend is a real estate agent. If the child takes real estate photos... how does that work? I'm only going to give the drone provided the family knows this is a serious endeavor, a learner's permit if you will. I'm also going to make sure flights are supervised. Done is an older DJI Phantom 3. I want to know that the Phantom, which is a serious drone and can have some serious consequences is used in a proper manner. Second Idea is to find a scout troop and use this for instruction. Anyone been down this kind of path?
Also, the young pilot or anyone for that matter can take pics and "give" them to anyone without payment and that should still be considered "recreational" is it not? I'm sure with the dad being a real estate agent, that would be a hard question to justify for sure if they flew to take pics for his real estate biz.

Also, the young pilot or anyone for that matter can take pics and "give" them to anyone without payment and that should still be considered "recreational" is it not? I'm sure with the dad being a real estate agent, that would be a hard question to justify for sure if they flew to take pics for his real estate biz.
Nope. The intent of the flight is what determines 107 or 44809. If his or her intent is to fly and give them the imagery, it's no longer recreational. So 107 is required. It's hard to justify at all. It's very black and white in the eyes of the FAA.

that might fly "one time" but doing it over and over is not going to pass the litmus test. Also there is a moral side to it as well. Instill integrity at an early age rather than suggesting lookin for a Loop Hole.

Keep in mind the INTENT of the flight is what matters. If you are shooting Real Estate listings with the INTENT to give the DATA to a Real Estate Agent your intent is purely not Recreational at all.

Nope. The intent of the flight is what determines 107 or 44809. If his or her intent is to fly and give them the imagery, it's no longer recreational. So 107 is required. It's hard to justify at all. It's very black and white in the eyes of the FAA.
Cool - been 4 years or so when I went thru the 107 training - but did not get license.

Makes sense too!

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929