DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Commitment of Speed, time, distance (Autonomy)

martinhgps

Reactions
Hi!!! Someone has or made an autonomy curve according to the flight mode (Normal or Sport).
The point is that I need to take photos at a distance in the field (more than 3 km away from the point of home).
I know that if I go with the sport mode I will arrive and I will return faster but surely with more battery consumption, therefore, less flight time where I have to take the photos.
The above is surely computed without wind for the calculation. Because up here is pure theory. I say it for the marginal power ... I mean as an example that in the normal flight mode, if there is 36km of wind in front and I put the accelerator to the maximum facing the wind, I will fly at 36km per hour with respect to the wind, but at zero km per hour with respect to the ground (without advancing).
I hope I did not do a tongue twister.
I will appreciate your comments.
Thank you!

Well...DJI did their longevity test at 15mph, so that has to mean something.

I don't see the chart or whatever you are referring.

Reactions: martinhgps
Here is something to try: take off with full battery, go to altitude you want to run, then run out 3km and back, including landing. Then, see what your battery is like.

If you setup a waypoint mission first, then you can set the speed exactly what you want.

Test several different speeds to determine which is most efficient.

My guess is that 3km is well within reach, but won't give you much time at destination.

Is there any way to get closer? Park on the side of the road, use a residence/business that is closer?

Here is something to try: take off with full battery, go to altitude you want to run, then run out 3km and back, including landing. Then, see what your battery is like.

If you setup a waypoint mission first, then you can set the speed exactly what you want.

Test several different speeds to determine which is most efficient.

My guess is that 3km is well within reach, but won't give you much time at destination.

Is there any way to get closer? Park on the side of the road, use a residence/business that is closer?
Thank you, Odom1957.

As I can not find more information, one of my ideas was to do an investigation by myself as you put it to me. Even taking note of each kilometer going and back to see if there is a loss of efficiency of consumption as the battery is consumed. The latter is pur galerie. As soon as the test is done, I post it for everyone. Thank you

Reactions: Odom1957
Something that I have figured out on mine...The battery falls quickly from 20%. I haven't done a time test, but it appears to fall around twice as fast. At least that is what it seems.

If you are returning home and hit that 10% auto landing threshold, then hold up on the elevation stick to keep it from descending. At some point though, it will override and land anyway. I have had mine down to 5% without landing.

Looks like there is substantial difference between the two. I'd still find a way to get closer.

I have flown my pro out 3 miles and didn’t have much time for taking my pictures before RTH kicked in . I think I only had about 4 minutes . Mind you there was a bit of wind that day

That is great to have 4min on location at 3miles out!

I took some video of a 3 mile long bridge near me and had no battery left when I returned. That was going straight out and back.

Wind may have been a factor, but since I used a waypoint mission, I don't know how much of an issue it was. Maybe I'll go a little faster next time to see if it gets more efficient.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000