DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Comparison of the new Mavic Mini 3 to the Mavic 2 Zoom

Kmc0929

Reactions
Trying to determine if I should sell my Mavic 2 W/Smart RC and purchase the Mini 3 W/Smart RC. I like the increased portability of the Mini, but how does everything else stack up? Which Smart RC is better etc?

The smart controller for the Mavic 2 will generally be better. It will have more programmable features and the screen will be brighter. In addition to the C1/C2 buttons, it has a 5D button (I guess they named it that because it pushes up/down, left/right, forward/back- lacking on the Mini 3 controller. It also includes separate "shutter" buttons for video and photos, something I find very helpful so I don't have to go to my phone's/iPad's screen to change imaging modes.

DJI had to do something to make the Mini 3 controller less attractive than the Mavic 2 and Mavic 3 smart controllers. After all, it's only a $150 upgrade.

The Mavic 2 will be more stable than the Mini 3 and fight high winds better. But the Mini 3 will have longer flight time per battery and extended flight batteries will now be available for those not needing to cut weight. IMOhe Mavic 2 PRO'S image quality will stand up against everything in the DJI line when it comes to practical viewer experience with the exception of slow motion because it doesn't have 4k/60.But the ZOOM version I dont think will stand up to the Mini 3's image quality and features. The Mavic 2 uses the Go4 app, which IMO is a better interface than the DJI Fly app, but both function adequately. The Mavic 2 is a "legacy" drone now.

Based on those two models for $1100 I think the Mini 3 w/smart controller might be the better choice. If you were looking at a Mavic 2 PRO and smart controller FOR THE RIGHT PRICE, it would be more of a contest. I wouldn't trade my Mavic 2 Pro for a Mini 3... but I may buy a Mini 3 down the road as a companion/backup. JMO

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I am currently in the process of transferring from M2P (never had the M2Z) to the Mini 3 Pro mostly of legal obligations of the heavier drones.
So far, speaking from a photographic viewpoint, the Mini 3 Pro is a fine drone. While I like the 3:2 format and the 20 MP more of the M2P, the special readout of the sensor of the Mini 3 Pro gives you 48 MP with some nice details (and some minor colour artefacts which can be ironed out with noise reduction).

So far, it is a smooth transition, but as @vindibona1 notes, the SC is better.
I like the RC though, it's lighter and a bit smaller, but I miss the 1,000 nits brightness, the 5D knob and DJI Go 4 especially.

But all in all, it's not a downgrade, on par mostly with the photo quality and feature wise better in video than the M2P.
As said before, the best drone is of no use, if you are not legally allowed to fly in your desired area. Therefore I will most likely pack the Mini 3 Pro into my back from now on, especially while travelling.

Have fun flying this awesome bird!

Last edited:
I am currently in the process of transferring from M2P (never had the M2Z) to the Mini 3 Pro mostly of legal obligations of the heavier drones.
So far, speaking from a photographic viewpoint, the Mini 3 Pro is a fine drone. While I like the 3:2 format and the 20 MP more of the M2P, the special readout of the sensor of the Mini 3 Pro gives you 48 MP with some nice details (and some minor colour artefacts which can be ironed out with noise reduction).

So far, it is a smooth transition, but as @vindibona1 notes, the SC is better.
I like the RC though, it's lighter and a bit smaller, but I miss the 1,000 nits brightness, the 5D knob and DJI Go 4 especially.

But all in all, it's not a downgrade, on par mostly with the photo quality and feature wise better in video than the M2P.
As said before, the best drone is of no use, if you are not legally allowed to fly in your desired area. Therefore I will most likely pack the Mini 3 Pro into my pack from now on, especially while travelling.

Have fun flying this awesome bird!
Great synopsis.
I think DJI figured out that there was a huge market for the sub 250g drones especially in weight restricted countries. And after I think they determined that the while the Mini 1 and MIni 2 were great sales success, there was a fairly large contingent who needed the light weight but really needed better resolution and image quality. Thus the Mini 3 in fairly rapid succession from the Mini 1. After this covid thing is over we plan on doing some traveling outside the US (destinations yet TBD), Mexico in particular which has a ton of restrictions if you're not a natural born citizen. I'm seeing some sensational vids from Europe and I'm mega-jealous. I can see a Mini 3 in my future (but I'm not giving up my M2P)..

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
@vindibona1
Thank you. I guess, you won't be disappointed.
However even the sub 250 g drones face some challenges with the law, especially the bye-law.
The European regulation of drones is a fine thing but as every member state and its authorities can extent the regulated zones for instance.

So to speak, while you are perfectly fine flying your bird, you might not be able to take off/land in large areas. And there are more concers to wild life, privacy, etc.

These all have their egilibility, but I somehow see, that even we now have the subcategories for flying, most tightening just want them to ban completely, no matter what C label or mass you have.

It's a bit of a shame, that makes the hobby sometimes of a hassle.
However, I've only once encountered someone complaining, most of people, especially with children, are very curious and want to learn. And it's good, to be safe legally with this light Mini 3 Pro.

I guess, it's a test and approach from DJI how to tackle this C label scheme (which still only works on paper).
My experiences mostly derive from Austria and Germany, while for instance Portugal was even fine in urban areas with my M2P.

Let's see, what the future brings ...
I've not had my drone when I was in the USA or Canada, but I would definitely would like to.
I thought with LAANC it's a good approach to ask for permission to fly, isn't it?

It also includes separate "shutter" buttons for video and photos, something I find very helpful so I don't have to go to my phone's/iPad's screen to change imaging modes.
So does the RC. It's only the basic remote that doesn't.

I sold my mavic 2 zoom, and have purchased mini 3, after running a few tests have found that mini has much better camera especially low light. The signal is better to.
Everything I have seen up to this point suggests thetas well. Most people don’t even dare go on missions at +50km/h winds, yet mini 3 can handle it.

for me mini 3 wind resistance is like a car only allowed to go 200km/h instead of 400km/h; both speeds are never going to be driven on roads I use or will use in the future

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54