DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass calibration -- every time!

cameraz

Reactions

My Mavic Mini requires a compass calibration every time I use it -- in the same city. I usually fly within a 7-mile radius. For example, I flew it one day on my street, and it told me I needed to calibrate my compass. About 5 days later I went to fly it at another location about 6 miles away. After turning everything on, I got a message asking me to calibrate the compass. This has happened about four times now. But it never used to. Years ago, I could drive to a city 250 miles away, and I wasn't asked to recalibrate my Mini's compass.​

I'm wondering if this is related to a crash I had last year. The only outward damage was some badly knicked propeller blades. But I did get an error message telling me to contact the manufacturer. I didn't try flying after that, thinking my drone was toast. But 6 months later, I turned it on and it worked fine. So I put some new props on it, and it works perfectly. That is, except for it requiring the calibration for every flight.​

The compass calibration seems to be a random event on my Mini 1 as well.....I don't think it was crash-related in your case (or mine as well)...A minor inconvenience, but I consider it to be part of each flights' pre-launch checklist.

Reactions: Cafguy

My Mavic Mini requires a compass calibration every time I use it -- in the same city. I usually fly within a 7-mile radius. For example, I flew it one day on my street, and it told me I needed to calibrate my compass. About 5 days later I went to fly it at another location about 6 miles away. After turning everything on, I got a message asking me to calibrate the compass. This has happened about four times now. But it never used to. Years ago, I could drive to a city 250 miles away, and I wasn't asked to recalibrate my Mini's compass.​

I'm wondering if this is related to a crash I had last year. The only outward damage was some badly knicked propeller blades. But I did get an error message telling me to contact the manufacturer. I didn't try flying after that, thinking my drone was toast. But 6 months later, I turned it on and it worked fine. So I put some new props on it, and it works perfectly. That is, except for it requiring the calibration for every flight.​

Hi there. May I suggest your setup is detecting magnetic influences closeby and asking you to calibrate to solve a problem that is solved by moving away from the magnetic influence. For example, in my case, if I'm within 20' of my vehicle, I'll be asked to calibrate. Hope this might help you.

Reactions: cameraz
Hi there. May I suggest your setup is detecting magnetic influences closeby and asking you to calibrate to solve a problem that is solved by moving away from the magnetic influence. For example, in my case, if I'm within 20' of my vehicle, I'll be asked to calibrate. Hope this might help you.
It could be. I'll keep an eye on the next place I launch the drone. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Madejow95