DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass error a lot

offtheback

Reactions
M2P.Calibrated compass twice on grass field away from cars or any metal.Was flying 50-300 feet AGL and kept getting compass error.Both calibrations went ok per the app.Did this in 2 different locations.Any idea what may be causing this?Thanks!

Compass errors usually get caused by some metallic structures in the area. What's the nature of the area you are flying in (woodland countryside - or Urban jungle)??

Compass errors usually get caused by some metallic structures in the area. What's the nature of the area you are flying in (woodland countryside - or Urban jungle)??
Both were over open ocean and not urban surroundings.

Make certain you aren't carrying anything metalic with you. Watch, Buckle etc..

Reactions: offtheback
If you made a mistake of storing your bird near a large speaker or a electric motor the magnets can mess up your drone . I did it to one of my drones .

Calibrated successfully again today.Was up over water,low density suburban,and even at 300-400' still got compass warnings.Have a Cree strobe mounted on front arm+rear arm.Will try without them but had them before with no issues.

Make certain you aren't carrying anything metallic with you. Watch, Buckle etc..

Really, how come these very expensive drones which use smartphone technology are so sensitive to a user wearing a watch or a metal buckle! I've never known anyone to have issues with the compass in their phones from metal or sidewalks or anything for that matter but now if you've looked at something metallic in the last few days then your drone will get magnetic interference errors lol.

Is this a bug maybe, because so many peeps are getting these errors all the time. I doubt other aircraft deal with this kind of issue. Please I am no expert as you can clearly tell, but to spend almost 2k on a drone and extras to just be told to avoid wearing anything made of metal is quite hard to swallow, especially with all my metal fillings!

FWIW, I've only had one instance where the M2P told me I had a compass error and that was due to rebar in the concrete. I have never had any errors caused by anything I was wearing. Bottom line is, if you get an error, move some distance away and try again but do NOT takeoff with a compass error or you risk losing the aircraft. Thanks to SAR and Bud, I didn't lose mine but I could have.

Now, I always orient the landing pad to magnetic North and place the aircraft on it facing in that direction. Then, I check the radar display to ensure that the aircraft THINKS it is also pointing North. If there's any noticeable difference in heading, I'd do a compass cal and try again although other than that first experience, I have never seen the heading differ from the radar display. I DO hope that DJI adds a tweak so that the aircraft's magnetic heading is displayed on the radar chart or, down below. That would be quite helpful.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard