DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass error after short movement and using iOS instead of Android (wind and metal nearby)

Geeforce

Reactions
Just some questions to be sure...

I made several flights with my new mini 2 on Android S10e. Not issues. Today I wanted to try the ipad mini5. But in this order:
- Used Android in about 2 km from previous point. Fly time about 5 minutes, as it was windy, mini 2 was working had. I shut it down.
- I moved back home, 2km again and connected the ipad mini 5. I was very windy again I just wanted to try the ipad mini. Just 4 minutes fly time. In the garden the drone was working hard in the wind.

During the flight with the mini 2 in my garden, I noticed 2 things:
- in the beginning the gimbal was straight, but after the struggle in the wind, the horizon was skewed. Even when hovering. I landed, did a gimbal calibration. Looks fine again.

- In my garden I have a huge metal covering (sunshades) and I was flying under it. Of course less satellites, but not that less. But here I got a compass error. I landed and in open field did a calibration. I also did IMU calibration. In all 7 flights I made with the mini, this is the first time I saw this error and also the first time I did the calibration.

I didn't fly yet after the calibration.

Q Why became the gimbal in a bad position and did come back to a horizontal position? Was it the wind?
Q Was the compass error because of all the metal nearby? Of maybe because I switched from Android to iOS?

Just curious if it was the situation, wind, switch to iOS etc....

It's hard to understand your sequence. It sounds like you actually changed monitor devices while in flight. That would likely cause some issues if that's the case.

Sorry for being not clear. No of course I didn't switch during the flight. I shut down everything, controller and plane. In fact there was an hour between this.

Sorry for being not clear. No of course I didn't switch during the flight. I shut down everything, controller and plane. In fact there was an hour between this.
Hoping someone else will chime in here for you soon. In comparison to my other drones the Mini 2 is more sensitive to metal around me. For instance, I can't take off from my driveway anymore. I can land there but always launch from my hand holding it above the concrete. Perhaps you could try launching from a different point. I was once even affected by being too close to my overhead powerlines. Hope this can help somewhat.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada