DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass1 and 2

Kermit215

Reactions
Hello all,

I just received my Mavic Pro and look forward to getting her flying.

I noticed in the compass interference section, Compass1 shows the interference (green) and Compass2 says disconnected. Is this normal?

Thank you

Last edited:
I am talking with DJI customer support now about the issue. I'll post what they say in case it helps out others.

Hello all,

I noticed in the compass interference section, Compass1 shows the interference (green) and Compass2 says disconnected. Is this normal?

Thank you
Have you calibrated the EMU and Compass?

Oh yes, i turned that thing in the different directions to successfully calibrate the IMUs. The compass calibration passed the horizontal test, but not the vertical one. I spinned that thing around at least 20 or 30 times. No bueno.

DJI says I need to send it it in :/

Not sure about the EMU but just as well you got the IMU covered!
Really sorry to hear you may have a dud. That hurts after the long wait you've suffered. Good luck and here's hoping this gets turned around a.s.a.p.

Hello all,

Thank you

I have the same issue! However, when I lift the Mavic off the ground, Compass2 starts displaying green values...strange. When I rotate the Mavic vertical as done in the 2nd step of the compass calibration, I get the following shown in the screenshot. Is this supposed to happen? I can never pass the 2nd step.

Attachments

• IMG_1143.PNG
    IMG_1143.PNG
    349.5 KB · Views: 66
Probably just a last resort but you're not wearing a smart watch while doing the calibration?

Probably just a last resort but you're not wearing a smart watch while doing the calibration?

No, not wearing anything metallic. I'm starting to wonder whether it's related to this thread at all. I haven't flown this in sport mode or experienced compass errors during flight, just unable to pass calibration out of the box. Just wondering what will happen if it tries to TBE then falls over to Compass2.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Can the Mavic be flown without the compass calibrated?

Yes, since technically it was calibrated at the factory initially. I read conflicting reports saying to only calibrate the compass when the app tells you to do so, but I feel like it should be calibrated out of the box since you don't know if the package has passed through any magnetic disturbances throughout the shipping process. Mine seems to fly fine so far, although I haven't flown it very far. No guarantees that the compass will be accurate once you try to fly elsewhere.

Yes, since technically it was calibrated at the factory initially. I read conflicting reports saying to only calibrate the compass when the app tells you to do so, but I feel like it should be calibrated out of the box since you don't know if the package has passed through any magnetic disturbances throughout the shipping process. Mine seems to fly fine so far, although I haven't flown it very far. No guarantees that the compass will be accurate once you try to fly elsewhere.
You got it all wrong. Compass must be calibrated when you first receive mavic. This adjusts for the magnetic declinations.
What has been factory calibrated and dji tells us not to calibrate is the IMU.

You got it all wrong. Compass must be calibrated when you first receive mavic. This adjusts for the magnetic declinations.

Kermit only asked whether it can fly, and yes, technically it can. Should you fly it out of the box without compass calibration? Probably not. I can't manage to do it due to hardware problems but it does fly nonetheless. According to the manual, pg. 50, "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO app or the status indicator prompt you to do so." Although it's not recommended, the manual suggests that it's ok if nothing pops up so I can see why this is confusing.

The compass calibration does not adjust for, determine, or know about the geomagnetic declination. It's impossible to determine the declination during the compass calibration process. To determine the declination the A/C would need to be placed pointing true north. Then the pilot would need to somehow indicate to the AC that it is pointing true north.

The purpose of the compass calibration is to discover, and correct for, magnetic distortions due to the A/C itself. It does not, and can not, know about distortions much larger than the A/C itself.

Last edited:
The compass calibration does not adjust for, determine, or know about the geomagnetic declination. It's impossible to determine the declination during the compass calibration process. To determine the declination the A/C would need to be placed pointing true north. Then the pilot would need to somehow indicate to the AC that it is pointing true north.

The purpose of the compass calibration is to discover, and correct for, magnetic distortions due to the A/C itself. I does not, and can not, know about distortions much larger than the A/C itself.

I thought this was the case. I don't know exactly which magnetometer IC is used, but it's probably something similar to what's in your typical smartphone. I thought that the calibration was for microadjustments due to intrinsic magnetic fields resulting from the sensor construction, metals within the quadcopter body, or other nearby objects. Other possibilities include the sensor becoming detuned in the presence of nearby magnetic fields or RF such as a speaker magnet. That's why every so often, your iPhone will prompt you to recalibrate the compass app if you're trying to use the compass regardless of location. I'm curious whether the placement of the Mavic's compass on the PCB made it too sensitive to EMI, which can cause these types of problems.

....... I'm curious whether the placement of the Mavic's compass on the PCB made it too sensitive to EMI, which can cause these types of problems.
I don't know that much about this sort of thing so I can't say. Maybe you're asking if it's related to the stuff in this thread. Firmware v01.03.0000 Compass Error. I would guess not. From your description I'm thinking yours could be broke. You should be able to do a compass calibration. But, I've not done a compass calibration with my Mavic so I'm not an expert.

After seeing other people have compass problems with the updated firmware, I am pretty sure mine is still a hardware issue. The "disconnected" indication can't be right. I read in a different thread that DJI has admitted to problems with compass wiring so I am thinking that is my issue. I could ignore the message and fly is uncalibrated, but I bought the **** thing, now I want it to work correctly! (thanks for the responses)

Just calibrate everything you can. Do it properly and you have nothing to lose. At least you'll know if recalibrating fixes the problem. If poor calibration is the problem you could lose the aircraft!

After seeing other people have compass problems with the updated firmware, I am pretty sure mine is still a hardware issue. The "disconnected" indication can't be right. I read in a different thread that DJI has admitted to problems with compass wiring so I am thinking that is my issue. I could ignore the message and fly is uncalibrated, but I bought the **** thing, now I want it to work correctly! (thanks for the responses)

Sounds like we have the same problem. I'll have to eventually send it in as well.

Just calibrate everything you can. Do it properly and you have nothing to lose. At least you'll know if recalibrating fixes the problem. If poor calibration is the problem you could lose the aircraft!

Issue is that compass calibration never even completes for me. Kermit, does compass calibration pass for you? You mentioned trying 20-30 times, has it always resulted in fast red blinking?

Sounds like we have the same problem. I'll have to eventually send it in as well.

Issue is that compass calibration never even completes for me. Kermit, does compass calibration pass for you? You mentioned trying 20-30 times, has it always resulted in fast red blinking?

So sorry, that's not the answer you want when that seems to be the issue! I forgot you had already posted to that effect.

So sorry, that's not the answer you want when that seems to be the issue! I forgot you had already posted to that effect.

Haha not a problem, I had to go back and check to see what people have mentioned trying so far...it can become difficult to remember sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin01