DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Complete beginner here.

From California, US - @Dapper Dan - Thanks for joining us @ MP!
A lot may depend on what you want to use it for. Recreational flights or monetary flights. Also, you'll have to look into the rules and regulations Australia's Aviation Administration have for drone flights.
Small ones could be something like the Mini 4 Pro, something a little larger would be something like the Mavic 3. Others will likely come on to share their view of things too.

Reactions: MA2 317
I would appreciate any input on what to buy - or not to buy - as my first drone. This must be a very common question I know, but any input would be gratefully received. How shall I put this ... "I'm shopping on a budget". I'm in Central Queensland, Australia ..... thanks in advance.
Good morning and welcome from Warwickshire in the UK. You have quite a few options.

Small form factor:

Mini 2 (cheapest, still a very capable general purpose drone).

Mini 3 series (excellent camera and a big step up in features).

Mini 4 pro (most expensive but enough of an upgrade in camera quality and transmission signal technology to warrant the cost).

Then the larger drones like the Air series.

Air 2S (still in production and used extensively, carries a 20mp sensor, excellent still & video quality, good middleweight design but limits you regarding where you can use it legally)

Air 3 (startling upgrade regarding camera layout and the same bomb-proof O4 transmission signal as the Mini 4).

But there are also older middleweight drones like the original Mavic Pro: the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom, getting parts and batteries for these is becoming difficult, but they are cheaper than the newer models and still perform extremely well, but the O2 control signal can be flakey when used in urban environments due to an increasing amount of WiFi noise generated from pretty much every wireless electronic device crammed into every single house/apartment in every city, town and village on the planet.

Last edited:
Reactions: MA2 317
Hello from the Crossroads of America Dapper Dan.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Reactions: Dapper Dan
I would appreciate any input on what to buy - or not to buy - as my first drone. This must be a very common question I know, but any input would be gratefully received. How shall I put this ... "I'm shopping on a budget". I'm in Central Queensland, Australia ..... thanks in advance.
Welcome.

My vote second hand mini 2.

But whatever you buy, if it second hand ENSURE that is it unbound by the original owner. "Binding" is an association between
A) the drone and the pilot's DJI account and
B) the controller and the drone.
It can ground a drone if the control app is not logged into the original pilot's DJI account.
It is NOT the connection, between the drone and the controller, that is used for control purposes which is referred to as pairing or linking.
I suggest you google "drone bound to other account".

If you are thinking of a FLY app using drone and will be using a phone etc to run FLY check NOW whether or not your phone will run FLY.
Download fly from DJI Fly - Download Center - DJI

Reactions: Dapper Dan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yatide