DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Complete novice that needs help please.

Miggy88

Reactions
Hello,

I am a complete novice to drones and photography/shooting videos.

The main purpose of me getting a drone was to film cinematic footage when I'm travelling with my son, and then upload them to a YouTube channel.

I have learned how to fly the drone and learned a few cinematic drone moves.

I'm now trying to learn step by step:

1. What the best camera settings are for the footage I want and what all the settings mean

2. What ND filters to use and when I need to use them

3. Which video editing software I need to use.

4. How to color grade.

I have tried researching all this myself but I have gotten completely overwhelmed with all the information that is out there.

I am hoping that someone on here could simplify it all so that I can understand what I need to do better.

Thanks,

Mick

Reactions: Lionfish
Hello,

I am a complete novice to drones and photography/shooting videos.

The main purpose of me getting a drone was to film cinematic footage when I'm travelling with my son, and then upload them to a YouTube channel.

I have learned how to fly the drone and learned a few cinematic drone moves.

I'm now trying to learn step by step:

1. What the best camera settings are for the footage I want and what all the settings mean

2. What ND filters to use and when I need to use them

3. Which video editing software I need to use.

4. How to color grade.

I have tried researching all this myself but I have gotten completely overwhelmed with all the information that is out there.

I am hoping that someone on here could simplify it all so that I can understand what I need to do better.

Thanks,

Mick
Welcome to a great forum and knowledge base. It would help if you told us what drone you are flying and if you are a using a Mac or PC Computing environment. Both of your questions depend on your camera and computer capabilities
You may have or will need to understand basic photography/video concepts of sensor sensitivity (ISO) shutter speed, aperture, and focus.
Those are the initial requirements to start a wonderful journey of self education integrating aviation and photography. The ND filters need and use for video will become clear as you nail the basics.

Reactions: Lionfish
Welcome to a great forum and knowledge base. It would help if you told us what drone you are flying and if you are a using a Mac or PC Computing environment. Both of your questions depend on your camera and computer capabilities
You may have or will need to understand basic photography/video concepts of sensor sensitivity (ISO) shutter speed, aperture, and focus.
Those are the initial requirements to start a wonderful journey of self education integrating aviation and photography. The ND filters need and use for video will become clear as you nail the basics.

Thank you for your response.

I have a mavic air 2 and I have a HP pavilion Windows PC. I have been watching beginner camera tutorials on youtube so I am on my way to getting a basic understanding of everything.

@Miggy88 welcome to the forum,
i cant really advise you on the video photography side of things
i dont put what i film on the internet ,or do post production of my stuff ,it comes off the SD card and into my 4TB hard drive to be viewed when its too wet or windy to fly
there are really three parts to the hobby ,maintaining your equipment, making sure its airworthy, battery care and flying legally
then there's choosing your location ,doing a risk assessment of the location ,is it a suitable place to fly ,any airspace restrictions in place
and finally editing all the wonderful pics and videos for your enjoyment,and if you so wish ,for others to see as you suggest on the internet
each of those things need to be mastered ,so take your time ,do your research ,and most of all enjoy

Jump on YouTube and all your questions will be answered several different ways. Fly, shoot and learn what works for you. We all have different eyes and needs. Just takes time to be comfortable with what you are shooting.

Like @buddb55 said, it's personal, some things are more personal taste than anything. Fly and shoot, look at the footage, see what you did right, and see what you did wrong and search how to fix or improve on the forum or YouTube. I would start with simple free software and work your way up from there. Learn the basic stuff and your taste first. My pet peeve is people that do the cartoon colored oversharpened shots and everybody goes WOW! and asks for settings. Personally, that unnatural look isn't to my taste but I've been doing commercial color correction and retouching for a long time so that is my preference. Do what you like and enjoy the hobby!

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City. We hope you find info shared here to help you with any issues you may have. I like this forum because its a global brotherhood, pilots share the knowledge with each other. Personally I took a course from a National drone school, required a exam in Flying, controlling, maneuvering, and FAA Rules & Regulations and got a certificate of completion. I did not know squat about how drones work, but that is just me. Now working on my part 107 certification, much harder. When I bought the MP a few years back, I said how hard can this be, well, learned a lot since then.
One of the things I did not know is what to do in a emergency. For example: Weak control signal, what to do? On top of that Lost satelite connection, and your drone is out of VLOS. And, you are not watching messages, involved in taking one great shot. That is just one scenario, many more things that can happen, even to the most seasoned pilot, But, knowing what to do and keeping a cool head, will save your drone and property of others. Just trying to spare you grief. Fly Safe and please read your manual.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23