DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Completely new pilot here, any tips would be helpful!

Awesome, I just downloaded the app. What does setting the RTH height hiegher do? Do you have a good spot to buy the ND filters? I'll save this list for future use :)
You'll be fine flying in the line of site. The mavic is very easy. Just keep it in beginner mode for the first hour or so.
Setting the RTH height is a protection. If the Mavic loses signal or is commanded to RTH, it will first fly to the RTH height and then return home. If the RTH is set too low there is a possibility of it colliding with objects (trees, buildings etc).
Good Luck and Happy flying.

Reactions: MAVA4 and mtraps
an10232
I've seen some sources saying they use it for that alone. Some say fly on tripod mode using guards. What's your reasoning behind NOT flying indoors?
I've hovered mine indoors but not much more. Its very easy to take off and crash into the ceiling.

Reactions: MAVA4
I've seen some sources saying they use it for that alone. Some say fly on tripod mode using guards. What's your reasoning behind NOT flying indoors?
You must be really good. The fact that you are flying on a tripod mode with guards won't help you in some cases. I tried it, and my drone started drifting immediately after takeoff.

You must be really good. The fact that you are flying on a tripod mode with guards won't help you in some cases. I tried it, and my drone started drifting immediately after takeoff.
Some don't realize that to record indoors you don't have to use tripod mode. You can simply place the drone on something.

Some don't realize that to record indoors you don't have to use tripod mode. You can simply place the drone on something.
Yeah, but the whole purpose of using the drone indoors is to have that seamless smooth movement throughout the facility or building

I'm a real estate broker and I would not fly it indoors in somebody else's house. Using your phone or camcorder is a better, safer idea. They make steady-cams for phones that are a lot cheaper and safer than a mavic. Outdoor shots are different. Wow them with that. Better than asking, "how much did that Tiffany lamp your Grandma gave you, cost?"

Reactions: MAVA4
I'm a real estate broker and I would not fly it indoors in somebody else's house. Using your phone or camcorder is a better, safer idea. They make steady-cams for phones that are a lot cheaper and safer than a mavic. Outdoor shots are different. Wow them with that. Better than asking, "how much did that Tiffany lamp your Grandma gave you, cost?"
Haha true, I just figured all those in home tours were taken with drones since they were so smooth.

Haha true, I just figured all those in home tours were taken with drones since they were so smooth.
Plenty of cellphone/gopro gimbals are out there. I bought Osmo Mobile for $250, and it gets me buttery-smooth videos and even some of object tracking features that Mavic has.

Plenty of cellphone/gopro gimbals are out there. I bought Osmo Mobile for $250, and it gets me buttery-smooth videos and even some of object tracking features that Mavic has.
True. Thanks for the advice!

Hi there.
I'm a fairly new quad flyer also. Just got it this weekend and I have put about 3 hours of flight time (5 batteries).
Here's what I did & personal experience.

First of all I'd say watch lots of youtube, especially the mavic drone crash footage to see where they went wrong, one thing I've noticed is that they crash into a lot of things flying side ways.

No drone certification is required if you're flying as a hobbyist or for recreation, but you do have to register your mavic with the FAA ($5).

Wind: Personal experience, I would not fly anything more then 15mph & gust beyond 25mph, but that's just me, in P mode, with 15mph steady and 25mph gust the drone was having a hard time making head way and had to decrease altitude to get any where.

You can go into Sport mode to get more power but I'm not comfortable doing that just yet since I'm flying fairly close to the tree line.

Indoor: Never tried it, if you do, remember the return to home altitude setting :p
The drone can produce 4k Video/images so I don't see why you can't use it for professional purpose but that requires a cert. from the FAA, Part 107 but I haven't done that since I don't intend to make money off of my hobby.
You do not have to register with the FAA any longer.

Couldnt you just sue your mavic folded up and just the the gimbal there?

Couldnt you just sue your mavic folded up and just the the gimbal there?

I mean, sure? Except the gimbal is kind of crap on it for handheld operation. And some phones/cameras have much better image sensor.

I mean, sure? Except the gimbal is kind of crap on it for handheld operation. And some phones/cameras have much better image sensor.
I was under the impression the video quality on the Mavic's was unreal. The iphone 8's (for example) video quality may be better but wont have that same smooth stabilization. I guess I'll have to just do some trials and comparisons.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbtha7467