DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compliance with new EU Regulations?

AnGo

Reactions
Is the Mini 2 already deliverd with the C0 certificate to match with the new EU drone regulations starting January 2021?

Not as far as I know. I've checked the online documentation and there is no reference to a C0 certificate marking as per EU directives.

I must say that, in accordance to a recent presentation from members of our national aviation authority (AESA, in Spain), during the transition period between 31st Dec 2020 through 1st Jan 2023, UAS delivered without a C0 marking and MTOM<500g will still be able to operate under the A1 scenario in the Open Category, which is, basically, the same scenario as for a CE-marked UAS with MTOM<250g. From 1st Jan 2023 onwards, those same unmarked UAS with MTOM<250g will still be operable under A1.

We have no further details on the transition period for unmarked UAS with MTOM<250g operating under the Specific category.

Reactions: AnGo
I have my new Mini 2 here, I can see not obvious CE marking on the drone, therefore I don’t believe its approved (doesn’t really matter for the UK)
Hi....are you absolutely sure about “Doesn’t really matter for the U.K. “?
what do you base that on?
I thought, from watching Mr MPW’s videos on YouTube, that, despite Brexit, the U.K. would be sticking to EASA regs, in line with the EU, from December this year.
We will have a 2 year transition period, after which ALL drones without the CE markings will be deemed as Legacy.
They will be able to continue to fly but with tighter restrictions than the “New” certified drones.
There are currently no certified drones on the market, including this latest offering from DJI.
As to mattering, I guess it’s up to you if you’re happy to fly with tighter restrictions or not.
Having said that.....I could be wrong and owning a M2P and I2 I would love to be corrected and told “doesn’t really matter for the U.K. “ by the CAA.
Take care, stay safe. Peter.

Reactions: Pedwards
Hi....are you absolutely sure about “Doesn’t really matter for the U.K. “?
what do you base that on?
I thought, from watching Mr MPW’s videos on YouTube, that, despite Brexit, the U.K. would be sticking to EASA regs, in line with the EU, from December this year.
We will have a 2 year transition period, after which ALL drones without the CE markings will be deemed as Legacy.
They will be able to continue to fly but with tighter restrictions than the “New” certified drones.
There are currently no certified drones on the market, including this latest offering from DJI.
As to mattering, I guess it’s up to you if you’re happy to fly with tighter restrictions or not.
Having said that.....I could be wrong and owning a M2P and I2 I would love to be corrected and told “doesn’t really matter for the U.K. “ by the CAA.
Take care, stay safe. Peter.

I've read the CAA documents regarding the rule changes due to come into force and, no it doesn't matter in the UK that the MM and the Mini2 are not CE marked. The rules allow sub250g drones to fly in category A1, and that includes beyond the transition period too. You will still need to register, as they both have cameras.

Reactions: TDZHDTV
I've read the CAA documents regarding the rule changes due to come into force and, no it doesn't matter in the UK that the MM and the Mini2 are not CE marked. The rules allow sub250g drones to fly in category A1, and that includes beyond the transition period too. You will still need to register, as they both have cameras.
Thanks for clarifying, for me the Mini is a great little drone for my needs, the Mini 2 is a significant step up in build construction and range

Reactions: scro
I don’t think the original question had anything to do with registration. The question was, “does the M2 come with C0 certification?”
The answer is no.
There are, currently, no certified drones anywhere.
Does this matter in the U.K.? ... depends on what you want to do with it. After 2023 it most certainly will.

Having CE certification really only becomes a big issue from 2023 on, when legacy drones over 250g get relegated to A3 category.

Have a read of the actual documentation, and you'll find that sub 250g legacy drones can be used beyond 2023 in A1 category in the UK. @Peter Hughes what will most certainly matter about lack of CE certification for the Mini2 after 2023 in the UK?

Last edited:
I'm sorry but that's not my interpretation. Of the wording on the caa site.

After 1 January 2023, you can continue to fly a ‘legacy’ unmarked drone in the following categories:

• Privately built drones below 250g can continue to be flown in the A1 sub category.
  • All other drones must only be used in the A3 sub category.

Does privately built not mean home built? Struggling to find the definition of privately built. I fear all current drones may be religated to flying only in the A3 category.

Happy to be corrected.

Andrew1

CAP722, section A2.1.1 lists the following requirements for flying in category A1:

-UA with a flying weight of less than 250g, maximum speed less than 19 m/s.
-Class C0 UA.
-Class C1 UA.
-‘A1 Transitional’ UA (flying weight of less than 500g).
Note: only until 31 December 2022 and subject to additional remote pilot competency

The mini 1 and 2 fall in to the 1st category, which has no expiry date. Earlier draft publications explicitly clarified this point and the final version of the text agrees with this view. I'd rely on the formal CAA publication with the full details in preference to the simplified summary on the CAA website. Likewise, happy to be corrected if I've missed a change in stance from the CAA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190