DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compressed air question

Jameslavis

Reactions
always used it to clean Mavic. Had the props off and did a small shot on one of the motor coils and a bit if compressed air liquid shot in.

Will likely switch to a rocket fish from now on. Will the compressed air liquid have damaged the motor or coil?

Reactions: Former Member
It is water. Unless you have good receiver/dryers, all compressors will do this. Blow it out again. For extra piece of mind perhaps immerse that arm in a dessicant overnight??

It was cold after so I let it warm up and did a test flight. Things seemed fine. Just not sure what the spray was and what is actually in the coils.

If it evaps cleanly I wonder if any harm is there.

I let it warm for a few minutes and did a small test flight. Seems ok. Not sure on the nature of the chemical vs the sensitivity of the coils/motor.

I know people have sprayed them on motherboards and things are ok. Drones motors are new to me. But people fly them in damp or wet conditions and they make it out ok

It will be absolutely fine. Brushless motors have no contacts that water can affect and the bearings will have seals so a tiny bit of water won't have any effect whatsoever, you can stop worrying..

Even if it is brushed it won’t worry it. I used to break in my brushed motors in a tub with a bit of dishwashing liquid. Leave it running for 10 min fully submerged and it will give u years of trouble free life.

It is water. Unless you have good receiver/dryers, all compressors will do this. Blow it out again. For extra piece of mind perhaps immerse that arm in a dessicant overnight??
I don’t think it was water at all. The way I read the OP was that he sprayed compressed air from a can—not from an air compressor. He also stated it was cold where he sprayed. This implies it was evaporation of the liquid propellant, such as tetrafluoroethane, causing that effect.

If my interpretation is correct I think the OP will be fine. No need to dry anything out.

Mike

OP did you use an air compressor or a can of compressed air to blow into the motor? If it was a can, then there might be little to no residue left after it dries (unfreezes) and if there was any, it might spin off as the motor turns.

When I blow out a motor, it's usually from the bottom up, and I do it in very short bursts of 1 second each. I also try to hold the can as horizontal as possible and monitor the volume of the can. When it gets low, there is a higher chance of "liquid propellant" coming out.

Reactions: Simmo and Bunny Too
Nope was the standard can of electronics compressed air. Had a couple chats, likely Just fluorocarbon. No harm

Reactions: Simmo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54