DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Computing horizontal Field of View (FOV) from diagonal FOV

DJ Wes

Reactions
Site
www.litchiutilities.com
DJI advertises the Field of View (FOV) of their lenses using the diagonal angle. This FOV value corresponds to an aspect ratio of 4x3.

It is sometimes desired to know either the horizontal FOV or vertical FOV or both. To compute either the horizontal or vertical FOV it is tempting to use the Pythagorean Theorem to compute the ratio of aspect-horizontal to aspect-diagonal and then multiply the diagonal FOV by that ratio to obtain the horizontal FOV but that would be incorrect. This method can be summarized as follows:

Capture.PNG

The reason the above method would be incorrect is because the FOV angle, when projected onto a flat plane has a non-linear relationship with distances along that plane. For example, a one-degree change of FOV when the FOV is small results in a relatively small linear change on that flat plane. However, a one-degree change of FOV when the FOV is large (closer to 180) yields a massive change on that same flat plane.

As a result, the ratio of aspect-horizontal (or vertical) to aspect-diagonal must be compared to the ratio of tangents of the half FOV angles. This method can be summarized as shown below:
Capture.PNG
The above method is also summarized here:

Using this method I can successfully duplicate the example values provided in the link above.

Occasionally, I see FOV values and their horizontal equivalents posted in this forum. However, the values posted do not match those from this formula. Can anyone who is familiar with this conversion provide any details about the method they use to convert the diagonal FOV to horizontal and vertical values?

DJI advertises the Field of View (FOV) of their lenses using the diagonal angle. This FOV value corresponds to an aspect ratio of 4x3.

It is sometimes desired to know either the horizontal FOV or vertical FOV or both. To compute either the horizontal or vertical FOV it is tempting to use the Pythagorean Theorem to compute the ratio of aspect-horizontal to aspect-diagonal and then multiply the diagonal FOV by that ratio to obtain the horizontal FOV but that would be incorrect. This method can be summarized as follows:

View attachment 167701

The reason the above method would be incorrect is because the FOV angle, when projected onto a flat plane has a non-linear relationship with distances along that plane. For example, a one-degree change of FOV when the FOV is small results in a relatively small linear change on that flat plane. However, a one-degree change of FOV when the FOV is large (closer to 180) yields a massive change on that same flat plane.

As a result, the ratio of aspect-horizontal (or vertical) to aspect-diagonal must be compared to the ratio of tangents of the half FOV angles. This method can be summarized as shown below:
View attachment 167702

Using this method I can successfully duplicate the example values provided in the link above.

Occasionally, I see FOV values and their horizontal equivalents posted in this forum. However, the values posted do not match those from this formula. Can anyone who is familiar with this conversion provide any details about the method they use to convert the diagonal FOV to horizontal and vertical values?
the second formula is correct - we need to consider angles projecting in 3D space, not angles at the sensor plane.

An example is 3d map in PanoVolo that shows the fov of the image overlapping the real world scene. Basically needed to estimate what you camera will see or has seen in real world when the image is taken
Can you provide an example? An illustration could be very helpful.

And, if I may ask a question.
Does the camera 'see' a circular image which is then cropped down to the rectangular captured image that we see?

Last edited:
here's an example from PanoVolo-s 3D map. The blue pyramid represents the FOV of camera when an image was taken

The FOV of camera is typically a fov of image projected onto the sensor, so it's a rectangle (and is being represented as an "image pyramid") in 3D. You may be thinking about FOV of the lens which is indeed a circle typically.

1693576781013.png

View attachment 167701

View attachment 167702

Are those the real FOV angles?
It doesn't make sense to me.
This is to me HFOV that makes sensefov.png

Attachments

• fov.png
    fov.png
    692.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Are those the real FOV angles?
It doesn't make sense to me.
This is to me HFOV that makes sense
I've seen a number of documents on the web where they are depicted either way. However, I do like your representation better. I have modified my documents to match. The equations remain unchanged. It is only the graphics that have changed.

Thanks.

Reactions: marciano
I've seen a number of documents on the web where they are depicted either way. However, I do like your representation better. I have modified my documents to match. The equations remain unchanged. It is only the graphics that have changed.

Thanks.
So, if I'm not wrong these are Horizontal and Vertical FOV anglesFOV2.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_