DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Condensation in the lens

I'm having the same problem here in Liberia. The lens doesn't fog up until it's in the air. There's no A/C here so it's probably not an issue related to acclimating to the environment before takeoff, since it's always exposed to the humidity. I think it has to do with heat causing the water to condense (I have a watch that has the same problem; the water droplets form inside only whenever I'm doing something active). I'm gonna try to put the camera in some rice (shouldn't be hard to find here) and see if that works...

UPDATE: I placed the camera in rice for 24 hours. I put it up once and it did great. Put it up again and still had the same problem. I contacted DJI and will probably have to send it back. My footage looks awful.

Last edited:
DJI repair shop changed the entire lens assembly.

Seems (but not officially confirmed) the issues is with the camera seals. Mine was under warranty and was done in less than 3 hours but there is a shop in the city I live...

Good luck

Seriously? I thought this was a good machine, but it's just one issue after another. I have the same issue, so far a cp lens has resolved it, however we don't always want to use a lens, but we don't have a replacment to fill in whie we wait and send it off to DJI. If it is known issue then need to be sending out a replacment machine which does not have the fault, or at least a courtsey drone while the the issue is resolved on the current one, prerably on a permanent basis.

These are not cheap, and to be honest, apart from the crap app crashes and one mavic dropping and then going awol (we will never know if it was DJI's fault or something else,) I have been mostly pleased with it, but something like this is pushing me towards not liking the company again. And we just ordered goggles as well.

I don't think we will continue with DJI if thses issues keep happening, we need a reliable peice of kit that is going to last, not a toy that can't update without having a hissy fit, let alone a camera that fogs up in the air.

Hello, having the same problem :( im from portugal ,Azores São Miguel.
Did anybody fix it yet?

Seriously? I thought this was a good machine, but it's just one issue after another. I have the same issue, so far a cp lens has resolved it, however we don't always want to use a lens, but we don't have a replacment to fill in whie we wait and send it off to DJI. If it is known issue then need to be sending out a replacment machine which does not have the fault, or at least a courtsey drone while the the issue is resolved on the current one, prerably on a permanent basis.

These are not cheap, and to be honest, apart from the crap app crashes and one mavic dropping and then going awol (we will never know if it was DJI's fault or something else,) I have been mostly pleased with it, but something like this is pushing me towards not liking the company again. And we just ordered goggles as well.

I don't think we will continue with DJI if thses issues keep happening, we need a reliable peice of kit that is going to last, not a toy that can't update without having a hissy fit, let alone a camera that fogs up in the air.
Do let us know if you find an alternative platform that delivers the same features at this price and portability. We'd all love to know about alternatives. So far, there are none.

I will jump ship as soon as there is an alternative. I have zero brand loyalty to DJI. Best platform now but crap QA and customer service.

Same issue here, did anyone test out the theory of the gimble cover left on in flight ?

Hi guys, I have posted a workaround for this problem on another thread "Lens Condensation when flying". Feel free to check it out to help you solve your problem :)

* from the other thread *
Hi there guys! I've had this problem for quite some time now... You could return It and have it replaced by DJI, which may take a couple of months if you ship it back to them. You could go that way or try and do what I did as a temporary solution. I noticed that the condensation happens because the internal parts of the cam heats up which causes it to have a different temperature from the outside. If this is paired with the cold wash of air coming from the props (assuming the camera is not as sealed as it used to be) this will cause the condensation inside the cam.

I tried putting on the gimbal cover and it helps, but then as you guys also noticed, it causes glare if light hits the front of the cover. So, I thought maybe if I stop the cold air hitting the lens of the camera, it might help with the condensation inside since the temp of the glass would not change that much... I then tried installing a UV filter in front of the cam. Tried flying it a few times in cold weather and even after rain... No moisture inside. I guess this may actually vary depending on how sealed your camera is... If the uv filter is not enough try adding a camera sun hood... it may also help shield the camera from cold wash coming from the sides. I hope this helps.

I have a small issue with my Mavic.

Recently every time I take it out (and the fan starts kicking in) it gets a spot of condensation right in the middle of the lens.

It does take a while until is gone and it bothers me.

I'll go to the shop and talk to them. Anyway anyone else having this issue? Temperature was 20 degree Celsius and humidity was 50%. Here are some photos.

It was rather humid the past 2 weeks. That is the first time I actually notices. I do not fly it every day so not so many chances to check.

I went to the shop and allegedly is not a common issue. I can opt to book and appointment and send the Mavic in. The appointment can be done in about 4 days. It will take about to week to have it checked and fixed. Well... I'll keep you guys updated if there is an interest.

Any opinions, tips, advise is highly appreciated.
I have had the same issue and it started just before my 6 month warranty was up. I was instructed by DJI customer service to sent it in to them for repairs and when I did I received an I voice for nearly $300 to repair parts that were not damaged. After many many conversations they determined that the damage to the camera was caused by a crash which was possible but there was no other damage to the drone so I could not get any straight answer as to why the other parts needed to be replaced. I finally gave in and paid for all of the repairs and my drone was returned, unfortunately after the 30 days they gave me as a warranty the camera lens once again began fogging up inside the lens and now after a week of attempts to contact DJI I am not getting any response.

Hi guys, I have posted a workaround for this problem on another thread "Lens Condensation when flying". Feel free to check it out to help you solve your problem :)

* from the other thread *
Hi there guys! I've had this problem for quite some time now... You could return It and have it replaced by DJI, which may take a couple of months if you ship it back to them. You could go that way or try and do what I did as a temporary solution. I noticed that the condensation happens because the internal parts of the cam heats up which causes it to have a different temperature from the outside. If this is paired with the cold wash of air coming from the props (assuming the camera is not as sealed as it used to be) this will cause the condensation inside the cam.

I tried putting on the gimbal cover and it helps, but then as you guys also noticed, it causes glare if light hits the front of the cover. So, I thought maybe if I stop the cold air hitting the lens of the camera, it might help with the condensation inside since the temp of the glass would not change that much... I then tried installing a UV filter in front of the cam. Tried flying it a few times in cold weather and even after rain... No moisture inside. I guess this may actually vary depending on how sealed your camera is... If the uv filter is not enough try adding a camera sun hood... it may also help shield the camera from cold wash coming from the sides. I hope this helps.

Dear Gino,
That's an excellent suggestion. Could you recommend which filter should I buy? Im in a rush so I dont have much time to learn about the filters, etc. It'll be greatly helpful if you can mention the specific brand and type of filter that you bought and also the price... thank you so much!

Dear all,

I solve the problem with my Mavic. I remove the glass of the lens and put back with rubber glue, but still a small part of the glass without glue. The fog start because de differences of temperatures. With the small input of air inside the glass, the fog not happing.

To remove the glass, need to heat, and use a small blade on the side of the glass. I remove the barrel of the camera to make more easy the job.

Thanks,
Santrovitsch

Reactions: Gino
Dear all,

I solve the problem with my Mavic. I remove the glass of the lens and put back with rubber glue, but still a small part of the glass without glue. The fog start because de differences of temperatures. With the small input of air inside the glass, the fog not happing.

To remove the glass, need to heat, and use a small blade on the side of the glass. I remove the barrel of the camera to make more easy the job.

Thanks,
Santrovitsch

Good to know chief! :)
I was able to fix mine through replacing the thermal paste behind the camera lens. Fixed it accidentally after my gimbal got busted. I had to replace the old gimbal with a new one... and I transferred the old camera to the new gimbal. Sadly there was no thermal tape that came with the new gimbal so i used thermal paste... After a few flights and taking off my filter, I noticed that the condensation never came back. I guess we both found ways of how to take care of the lens condensation hehe.

Cheers! :)

My lens is just out of warrantee and DJI is charging me $166 to fix it. It has been stored in the original box and I have only flown it a few times before the fog started showing up and ruining all my videos. I thought the warrantee was for one year and did not hurry to send it in as soon as the problem occurred.

My lens is just out of warrantee and DJI is charging me $166 to fix it. It has been stored in the original box and I have only flown it a few times before the fog started showing up and ruining all my videos. I thought the warrantee was for one year and did not hurry to send it in as soon as the problem occurred.

Check my post. Its a temporary solution. :) its just a couple of posts up the thread.

Dear Gino,
That's an excellent suggestion. Could you recommend which filter should I buy? Im in a rush so I dont have much time to learn about the filters, etc. It'll be greatly helpful if you can mention the specific brand and type of filter that you bought and also the price... thank you so much!

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been checking the thread lately. I just bought a generic clear lens cap/filter. It is pri ed around 8 dollars. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1