DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused about exposure settings

Yes, frames per second is how much data is collected screen the shutter is open.
So if you're shutter is opened for too long and its over exposed, having a higher fps will only provide a better over-exposed footage.

No
Won't be darker.
I understand your point.

If it's recording at more frames per second , it'll have to be darker.
No. Because its digital, the shutter opens, for say 0.5 seconds, and records frames.
Lower frames means less detail and higher means more details.
But if 0.5 seconds was more than required, the image/footage will be brighter - regardless of frames recorded.

You need to master exposure independent of frames or bits.

Exposure is a combination of 3 variables:

iso
Shutter speed
aperture

The primary variable, shutter or aperture will be determined by your environment.
Got it! Thx everyone for your informative posts.

Okay, after my previous words, I researched this topic more online and now think I have the principal engrained in my gray matter finally.

When you set ISO, aperture and shutter speed, the light hitting the sensor is set....the EV may or may not be acceptable but that may be adjusted by altering one or more of the three settings.

When in video mode, the same holds true....FPS does not change the amount of light hitting the sensor but it does affect how many frames are recorded per second. This is similar to looking at something and blinking.....whether you blink slowly or rapidly, the brightness of what you are looking at does not change.

What increasing the FPS does is allow the digital shutter to create more frames in a second, thereby freezing motion more than at a lower FPS. Useful if you record at a high frame rate and then play back at a slower rate, resulting in slow motion effects.

What led me down this rabbit hole is someone told me I could avoid using an ND filter by upping my FPS....clearly not correct. I just tested this on my Samsung S9 Plus by recording video in 30fps vs 240fps.

Sorry for the long rambling, but perhaps someone else might learn from my previous misunderstanding. Gotta love learning!

Last edited:
There is a rule of thumb to try and keep the shutter speed around 2x frame rate but that has to do with motion smoothness and avoiding prop shadow bars, not exposure. By prop shadow, I mean that at certain light angles, the props effectively become shutters and may show bars in the video. Ever notice in a TV program when they have a TV or monitor in the scene that there are light/dark bars in the TV/monitor picture? That's the monitor refresh rate out of sync with the show recording refresh rate.
You would need to use an ND to reduce the light so that you could get the shutter that low.

EV has to do with the target exposure when you have automatic enabled, or when fully manual, becomes your light meter.

The M2 is capable of spot exposure and focus if you want to choose a specific spot of the scene to use for automatic exposure or focus.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun