DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused about flying at night

^^^ That's a template of what a COA for 44089. It indeed has lots of "misinformation" (not unusual) but it's only a template. That shouldn't be on the FAA website IMHO.
@brett8883 can you provide a link to where you found that exact wording? It's not part of the official wording on the current document. Per Oklahoma City FAA:

"The only restriction pertaining to day/night flying for recreational operations who are following all other regulations is that they can only fly at night in G (uncontrolled) airspace. ATC is not allowing any hobby/recreational NIGHT flights in Controlled Airspace. There are currently no night restrictions for ~44809 The Exception for Limited Recreational Operations if operating in Uncontrolled Airspace."
Thats great thanks for following through on this!

Is there anyway you could post the official correspondence so that we can print it out so if LE hassles is we have something official looking to show them?

If you need something to carry/show you'll want to print - AC 91-57B (until it's replaced)

or you can print the official version of 49 USC 44089 (on USCODE website)

Of course you can find "easier to read" versions of these online but if you want to carry something more official you'll want one of the above.
One further recommendation. I do carry these and some others.
Print the docs and carry them on paper.
Then in worst case scenario the printed docs get impounded, and not the pilot’s device.
Also good as you can offer to give them to LEO as a positive gesture.

So. Recreational guy here. Live about 4.7 miles from Burbank airport. Here’s an example from Kittyhawk. LAANCE. Tried to request a night flight in Burbank. See pic. Negative13A0C137-23B7-4DE6-9D00-FF2138795CB1.png

So. Recreational guy here. Live about 4.7 miles from Burbank airport. Here’s an example from Kittyhawk. LAANCE. Tried to request a night flight in Burbank. See pic. NegativeView attachment 83351
Rec pilots can only fly at night in Class G airspace, uncontrolled airspace.
You are applying in Class C.

AS noted above Night Flight is ONLY allowed (for hobby/recreation) in Class - G airspace and even Part 107 can not get NIGHT FLIGHT approval through LAANC. You can't combine automated approvals with waivers like that.

I know. I was just posting the picture to show you what you get when you are in controlled airspace. There seems to be so much confusion in the posts above I thought that a picture would be worth it. Sorry if you misinterpreted what I had intended to say.

that’s why you should always check LAANCE first. Then go to the city’s website for further information if needed.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I know. I was just posting the picture to show you what you get when you are in controlled airspace. There seems to be so much confusion in the posts above I thought that a picture would be worth it. Sorry if you misinterpreted what I had intended to say.

that’s why you should always check LAANCE first. Then go to the city’s website for further information if needed.

Yes sir I completely misunderstood your post. My apology.

My buddy ask me if I can fly my drone at night? I never had in the past so I started to see if I could. I've found a bunch of info and I'm still not sure. Currently.....can a hobbyist fly a drone at night in the US?

Thanks

I realize that this has been answered by now and quite well I think, but there still seem to be some doubters; so I thought I would post this link for an FAA Webinar. I'd recommend watching the whole thing, but if you want to rush to the 21:53 mark, you will get to clearly hear your answer from the proverbial horse's mouth, the FAA:

That guy addressed it well, indicating the act doesn't specifically address it, but other provisions indirectly do. Provisions such as flying VLOS, and the still cloudy flying under guidelines of a recognized safety organization.

Reactions: SkyDogII
That guy addressed it well, indicating the act doesn't specifically address it, but other provisions indirectly do. Provisions such as flying VLOS, and the still cloudy flying under guidelines of a recognized safety organization.

Yes, for any recreational flyer wanting to get caught up on the current legal state of our hobby, watching the entire webinar and the follow-up questions and answers is very informative.

I very recently watched a YouTuber relay information from a local district FAA official that LAANC doesn't cover Class E airspace and that hobbyists still had to contact airport managers if within a 5 mile radius of a Class E Airport. Of course this is clearly wrong. There is no five mile rule any more for recreational flyers. That was in Section 336, which has been repealed. As to Class E airspace, only if the Airport is Class E2 Surface Area are Part 107 and recreational fliers required to gain authorization first. If the Class E2 Airport does not participate in LAANC, authorization is to be obtained through FAADroneZone, which is now available to recreational flyers. This information is also offered within this video.

While I have already watched this video, I plan on watching it again. Knowledge, as they say, is power. It can also keep one out of trouble. ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki