DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused about using the Litchi app and visual line of sight

Palerider

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have been flying waypoint missions using the Litchi app. Sometimes I have lost connectivity to the drone. The drone flies the waypoints correctly and I do regain control when the drone gets closer. Is this a violation of the visual line of sight rule? Thanks for your help.

I have been flying waypoint missions using the Litchi app. Sometimes I have lost connectivity to the drone. The drone flies the waypoints correctly and I do regain control when the drone gets closer. Is this a violation of the visual line of sight rule? Thanks for your help.
FAA VLOS has nothing to do with waypoints, Litchi, or losing connectivity.

The only thing that matter is if you can clearly see the drone with your eyes (unaided by binoculars or anything other than eyeglasses) and be able to tell its orientation. Can you see the drone at all times during the flight? If the answer is no, then you are violating the FAA regulations.

FAA VLOS has nothing to do with waypoints, Litchi, or losing connectivity.

The only thing that matter is if you can clearly see the drone with your eyes (unaided by binoculars or anything other than eyeglasses) and be able to tell its orientation. Can you see the drone at all times during the flight? If the answer is no, then you are violating the FAA regulations.
Thank you.

Reactions: BigAl07
Is it that cut and dried? Technically if my mission has the drone fly around a structure like a huge tree or maybe a water tower and I can’t see it for a moment or two, am I in violation of the VLOS? What is the guidance for flying around a larger structure when you’re never more than perhaps 100 yards away from the drone? It seems a bit too “yes or no”.

Well I think you splitting hairs DanaMc. Even glancing down at the screen means momentarily out of sight. No, visual means control is maintained because orientation is ascertained. That's the rule I fly by. Enjoy and stay safe.

Sometimes, to comply with the regulations requires a crew with you. I believe the regulations describe your situation and say that somebody in contact with the pilot is briefed on the mission and someone must have their eyes on the drone at all times.

Flying on the other side of a big water tower or forest is a good way to get into a radio shadow and lose the drone.

A very competent commercial drone pilot showed up to map the creek and wetlands at a buddy's waterfront property in preparation for dredging, seawall, and dock projects over about 100 acres. He stationed crew where they could keep their eyes on the drone and conference-called with the crew so they could chatter. He lost the signal on his first attempt, the drone did RTH, and he re-positioned himself on another dock and finished the job. It could have been worse and one of his spotters could be running after a drone.

I could have done the whole job, entirely illegally, with DroneDeploy and charged a few dollars for it like some jacklegs would do. He did it entirely legally, paid a crew, did a beautiful job, and got a thousand bucks.

When we get Remote Id you can pay into the system, buy compliant drones, plan your flight with Litchi or other app, and let your drone loose to fly it. Meanwhile it's VLOS rules...

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Is it that cut and dried? Technically if my mission has the drone fly around a structure like a huge tree or maybe a water tower and I can’t see it for a moment or two, am I in violation of the VLOS? What is the guidance for flying around a larger structure when you’re never more than perhaps 100 yards away from the drone? It seems a bit too “yes or no”.
Yes it is pretty definitive. Your scenario of flying on the other side of a building or tower actually poses two issues:
  • You do not have Visual Line of Sight to the drone. If something were to be coming at it or it is about to hit something, you would have no idea of how to react and avoid because you cannot see it.
  • If you are on the other side of a large physical structure like a building or a water tower, you will most likely lose control signal between the remote and the drone. As such, you would not be able to take any evasive maneuvers even if you did know what the situation was.
Well I think you splitting hairs DanaMc. Even glancing down at the screen means momentarily out of sight. No, visual means control is maintained because orientation is ascertained. That's the rule I fly by. Enjoy and stay safe.
Very interesting point @Duds, and totally correct because your example is totally different than flying on the backside of a large structure. When you look down at your controller, the drone is still in VLOS (although you are not looking at it), and your controller has not lost its link to the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60