DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused

Huddersfield droner

Reactions
Still trying to find out about the new regulations on flying in the UK.re registering my drone online competency tests and so on can't find any thing online please can any on HELP

Don’t panic! No registration or test needed at moment, probably not before November 2019

Look on YouTube. Plenty of vids explaining the new UK rules.

In essence
1) Don’t go above 400ft from ground
2) Stay away (at least 1km) from airport boundaries
3) Do not fly within 50 metres of people or property
4) Do not fly within 150 metres of crowds or built up areas

Mostly it is common sense but it is also worth using some app like NATS or AirMap to understand any other CAA restrictions that may be in force where you intend to fly.

J

It is confusing, lots of articles have been published saying the registration / testing is law without explaining that it doesn't come into force till Nov 2019 and there is no way to do it at the moment.

The actual CAA document states Nov 2019. Always go to the authoritative source.

New Laws to coming in 2019 To the UK
A£300 on the spot fine could be issued by the police or even a council warden

you need to watch youtube

you only have till the 11.45 pm on the 17th September 2018 , to have your say before its to late

Last edited:
So when do we find out what the UK Govt 's intentions are on pre-registering all future flights?? I know additional legislation is being considered until end of month (?) but any ideas how long before an announcement?

Mavic Pro now sold & Mavic Zoom on hold until I can work out if my hobby has been ruined!

Last edited:
Look on YouTube. Plenty of vids explaining the new UK rules.

In essence
1) Don’t go above 400ft from ground
2) Stay away (at least 1km) from airport boundaries
3) Do not fly within 50 metres of people or property
4) Do not fly within 150 metres of crowds or built up areas

Mostly it is common sense but it is also worth using some app like NATS or AirMap to understand any other CAA restrictions that may be in force where you intend to fly.

J
What constitutes a “built up area”?

What constitutes a “built up area”?

According to the CAP:

'in relation to a city, town or settlement, means any area which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes.'

If you want a more precise definition, you wont get one. Ultimately, it comes down to could you persude a judge you werent over a built up area. So the responsibility for safety and definition is down to you.

According to the CAP:

If you want a more precise definition, you wont get one. Ultimately, it comes down to could you persude a judge you werent over a built up area. So the responsibility for safety and definition is down to you.

Actually I am ( or more accurately was ) a judge! The purchase of a drone is by way of a retirement present to myself.

I would have expected a definition to appear in the Interpretation schedule of the Air Navigation Order 2016 as amended but no definition appears there. In the absence of a specific interpretation the general rule is to give words their ordinary and natural meaning. The word settlement is a particular difficulty.

How many separate dwellings are needed before it is big enough to be regarded as a settlement ?

You wont get an exact definition. There isn't and never has been one - its a carry over from the VFR manned aircraft rules. Ultimately, its up to you to decide and be prepared to defend that decision potentially against an expert stating the opposite.
There are some obvious no areas such as a city or town centre, some obvious OK areas (fields) and any number of grey areas inbetween which you have to decide for yourself (and be prepared to defend) if it qualifies.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54