DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confusing Topics and/or Terms

CadrePilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
While I haven't been here all that long, I do see some recurring confusion on some topics. Perhaps some clarification is in order.

Recreational vs non-recreational: That's it. When determining whether 107 is needed, it's that simple.

Restricted areas: Several terms get used and misused. They're not interchangeable. Restricted = you can't fly without special authorization. Authorization Required = you need authorization (usually simple via LAANC) to fly. GEO Zone = an area DJI has cordoned off and keeps the drone from flying unless you unlock it via your RC. A Venn diagram would be useful to illustrate that while these areas often overlap, they're not all the same. Much confusion exists regarding GEO Zone and Restricted areas.

Please add to and/or correct my info.

I guess it depends on who's point of view you are looking from but I agree, the correct definitions and usage matters. I tend to think of airspace along the lines of controlled vs non-controlled where you would need FAA authorization to fly in controlled airspace. I think you can rely on your FAA-approved app and the DJI app to provide clarification and more context to your flight activity. Otherwise, I think you'll find there is casual usage of the terms and definitions not only for the rules/regulations but also for the drone features and operations.

All drone flights in the US require part 107 license; however, there is an exception: if you intent to fly for fun then your flight can be labeled as "recreational" and you don't need a part 107 to conduct a "recreational" flight.

Reactions: Dbez1 and Cafguy
I guess it depends on who's point of view you are looking from but I agree, the correct definitions and usage matters. I tend to think of airspace along the lines of controlled vs non-controlled where you would need FAA authorization to fly in controlled airspace. I think you can rely on your FAA-approved app and the DJI app to provide clarification and more context to your flight activity. Otherwise, I think you'll find there is casual usage of the terms and definitions not only for the rules/regulations but also for the drone features and operations.

All drone flights in the US require part 107 license; however, there is an exception: if you intent to fly for fun then your flight can be labeled as "recreational" and you don't need a part 107 to conduct a "recreational" flight.

Re: 107 - Your wording is well-stated.

Drone features and operations - made me think of tele vs zoom. The Mavic 3Pro has three different lenses, with two consider tele lenses. It does not zoom. Of course, I think DJI is guilty of mixing those terms. ;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoffreyBH