DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confusion over start-up procedure

I've flown RC, and ones with deadly consequences for a long time so I think we agree that regardless of whether the app is on first or last the important part is that the RC is on before the aircraft and the aircraft off before the RC. App first or last in the entire sequence is really irrelevant from a safety standpoint. I just prefer to fire up the app last from an efficiency of time standpoint.

BF, I agree that the app is a least concern item and not that important.

But, as I see things as a chain of connections, I follow the chain.

Alan do you use an Android device or IOS with your Mavic?

The one true *nix. iOS.
Yeah I guessed as much, as your recommended sequence of App first shows no understanding of how the Android USB device "app association" works. But I agree with the logic of MP on last / off first .

Yeah I guessed as much, as your recommended sequence of App first shows no understanding of how the Android USB device "app association" works. But I agree with the logic of MP on last / off first .

Yeah, I could see that coming. App association does not mean you *must* use it to fire up an app. The app can be started manually. I'd never rely on such automations and would likely have them disabled as I do on my Mac and iPhone for other things ...

Yeah, I could see that coming. App association does not mean you *must* use it to fire up an app. The app can be started manually. I'd never rely on such automations and would likely have them disabled as I do on my Mac and iPhone for other things ...
Yeah, projecting a methodology from one OS to another is fraught.
With Android it makes little sense to start the app before the RC. Android is set up to recognise the DJI hardware and simplify the connection process to your chosen flight app. It has been found to be a robust way to establish and maintain a solid connection between RC & Flight apps on Android. Numerous Android users who previously experienced DJIGo4 App disconnects (when starting app first) on S7, S8 and other phones have converted to this methodology to prevent these disconnects.

So my chosen start sequence with Android is to close all apps on phone then,
1) RC On,
2) DJIGo4 App (or one of my other 3 flight apps) on, in response to USB connection prompt **
3) MP On.

My shutdown sequence is simply to power off the MP first.

** Select an application for the USB device A B C D Just Once, Always

Yeah, projecting a methodology from one OS to another is fraught.
With Android it makes little sense to start the app before the RC. Android is set up to recognise the DJI hardware and simplify the connection process to your chosen flight app. It has been found to be a robust way to establish and maintain a solid connection between RC & Flight apps on Android. Numerous Android users who previously experienced DJIGo4 App disconnects (when starting app first) on S7, S8 and other phones have converted to this methodology to prevent these disconnects.

So my chosen start sequence with Android is to close all apps on phone then,
1) RC On,
2) DJIGo4 App (or one of my other 3 flight apps) on, in response to USB connection prompt **
3) MP On.

My shutdown sequence is simply to power off the MP first.

** Select an application for the USB device A B C D Just Once, Always

We'll have to agree to disagree. Not much to be done about Android disconnects, however.

Turning on the app last seems to be quite valid. I even close the app in mid flight to switch to Litchi...never had a problem that way!

.Not much to be done about Android disconnects, however.
Starting the app after the RC prevents them. How can you say there is not much to be done,when you report you are using IOS? If you are in fact experiencing Android disconnects with on a second setup perhaps, swap the sequence and report back.

Starting the app after the RC prevents them. How can you say there is not much to be done,when you report you are using IOS? If you are in fact experiencing Android disconnects with on a second setup perhaps, swap the sequence and report back.

I don't think you understood the scope of my comment. No need to trample there.

I've never had a problem with turning on MAVIC, RC then APP. It gives the MAVIC time to initialise while everything else is being switched on.
At the end of the flight I turn off the APP and RC while walking towards the MAVIC to turn it off.

I've never had a problem with turning on MAVIC, RC then APP. It gives the MAVIC time to initialise while everything else is being switched on.
At the end of the flight I turn off the APP and RC while walking towards the MAVIC to turn it off.

Always turn the MP off before the RC. If the MP motors start up again, you'll want the RC ready to control the bird / shut off the motors. This is very unlikely, but in the realm of the possible.

My manual, page 52, "Takeoff/Landing Procedures":

Turn on the remote controller and mobile device, then turn on the intelligent flight battery.
Launch the DJI Go App

Aka RC, then Mavic, then app

Not only am I inclined to go with what the manufacturer instructs for this sequence, I've also found it has never once failed to work for me (as long as I remembered to plug my phone or tablet into the controller with a cable first, but that's my fault).

Reactions: lweekspors
My manual, page 52, "Takeoff/Landing Procedures":

Turn on the remote controller and mobile device, then turn on the intelligent flight battery.
Launch the DJI Go App

Aka RC, then Mavic, then app

Like many things DJI, not logically consistent - especially given their poor manual writing skills.

I'll stick to app first, RC, then MP. Safety + logic.

Reactions: lweekspors
I sometimes had issues if I didn't do my app last, but that was likely due to the Android OS. It would get confused and bail out on me if the RC didn't have a connection to the Mavic, and it wouldn't simply become happy after that connection was made without having to first close and re-open. Trying the app last might maybe possibly perhaps help someone with an app issue?

I'm also somewhat playing Devil's advocate, the idea of turning on the controlling systems and checking them out first is solid. I don't use the app to control, but w/ the available modes it is indeed able to control.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007