DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Contacting towers and heliports

Aerobatty

Reactions
I recently bought the Mavic2 Pro. Unfortunately, I live within 5 miles of 3 airports-2 towered and one not. There are also a multitude of heliports and even a seaplane base. I know the seaplane base is non existent and one of the "heliports" is the field across the street from me. Decades ago, there used to be some exec that would fly in for the restaurant. Anyway, I can't find phone numbers for the towers nor any of the so-called heliports. Also, when I was registering my drone on the FAA site, I saw something that said we were no longer to call towers, but were to use some portal, which I can't find now.

This is sucking all the fun out of it. I should add that I am Part 107 certified, but until I learn my drone, I'm just flying recreationally.

Anyway, is there a source for tower phone numbers?

Reactions: jjnyc
Nothing has changed, you still need to call the tower "and" owner of the airport. My recommendation is to do the best you can.

I recently bought the Mavic2 Pro. Unfortunately, I live within 5 miles of 3 airports-2 towered and one not. There are also a multitude of heliports and even a seaplane base. I know the seaplane base is non existent and one of the "heliports" is the field across the street from me. Decades ago, there used to be some exec that would fly in for the restaurant. Anyway, I can't find phone numbers for the towers nor any of the so-called heliports. Also, when I was registering my drone on the FAA site, I saw something that said we were no longer to call towers, but were to use some portal, which I can't find now.

This is sucking all the fun out of it. I should add that I am Part 107 certified, but until I learn my drone, I'm just flying recreationally.

Anyway, is there a source for tower phone numbers?

Unless you are operating in controlled airspace, why not take advantage of your Part 107 certification which relieves you of the requirement to notify airports.

The portal that you mention is to obtain authorization to fly under Part 107 in controlled airspace.

Unless you are in CONTROLLED ( B, C, D, or E ) airspace, fly as a 107 ( it doesn't make a difference trust me) and skip the notification BS. If you are within a MILE of one of the airport don't bother calling.

Care to say what airports so we can look at the sectionals and see the class

I was going to make a post about Heliports but I might as well add on to this one.

I'm at a hospital quite often with my wife, unfortunately, and would like to go to the top of the parking garage to fly while she gets her things done. There's a heliport close by that lands on an adjacent hospital roof, am I supposed to call them and notify them that I'll be up and flying? I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to and Airmap has their number, I called it today to ask what is required but all I got was a voicemail.

I was going to make a post about Heliports but I might as well add on to this one.

I'm at a hospital quite often with my wife, unfortunately, and would like to go to the top of the parking garage to fly while she gets her things done. There's a heliport close by that lands on an adjacent hospital roof, am I supposed to call them and notify them that I'll be up and flying? I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to and Airmap has their number, I called it today to ask what is required but all I got was a voicemail.

Never mind...the answer to my question is Yes...must contact.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast