DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Control Indoor Drone with Mac OS

Chase Bowman

Reactions
Hello,

I would like to control an indoor drone with my Mac OS. (The end goal is to control a drone using my Hololens 2 and the OSC protocol.)

But to get there I first need to stream and control a drone from a Mac.

I was excited by the prospect of the Tello (programming through Scratch looked perfect for what I wanted to do), but then realized that you can only connect to the Tello's wifi network which limits the ability to connect other devices (such as a Hololens).

So I am back to the drawing board. Any tips great appreciated!

You probably won't be able to directly connect a Hololens 2 to the Tello. But you could relay information from the Tello via the computer. AFAIK, all of the development tools for the Hololens are based on UWP, which is Windows only. You'll need to run BootCamp or a virtualized Windows 10 on your Mac to do anything with the Hololens.

With the Tello SDK, you can send commands to the Tello with a simple API over UDP. A laptop can connect to multiple wi-fi access points at the same time. You need to plug in a cheap USB wi-fi adapter to connect to the second one, but it should work. On the laptop, you would need an app or service that accepts commands and then relays them to the drone. The Hololens app would talk to that app instead of talking to the Tello directly

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22