DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller charging the phone?

jhnix

Reactions
Is there a way to stop the controller charging the phone? I'm only getting about 2 batteries out of a full charge on the controller. I'm using the pixel 2 xl and the phone works great. I've read that this is a problem with android, but maybe someone came up with something .....

Try using the usb connection on the bottom of the remote and plug it into your phone. That will stop the charging. make sure the connection on the left of the remote is unplugged.

Is there a way to stop the controller charging the phone? I'm only getting about 2 batteries out of a full charge on the controller. I'm using the pixel 2 xl and the phone works great. I've read that this is a problem with android, but maybe someone came up with something .....

Not all Android phones cause such a severe drain. For example, Wunderphone, which costs 1/10th of Pixel 2, causes only minor drain, letting you do about 8 flights on one RC charge.

Reactions: Dragonfly
I heard that if you plug in your phone with the regular USB port on the bottom of the controller and connect a battery pack to the top micro USB port it should not drain the battery.

Reactions: Dragonfly
On many (but not all!) phones, putting a current limiting resistor on the Vbus line (red wire) will cause the charging circuit to back off, stopping the charging without dropping the connection. I've tested this on Galaxy S7 and Nexus 7 with a 330ohm resistor.

I heard that if you plug in your phone with the regular USB port on the bottom of the controller and connect a battery pack to the top micro USB port it should not drain the battery.
I tried it and it works.

Reactions: MurMan
My iPhone 6 charges for about a second then says charger not supported. That's with the side and the bottom usb ports

Try using the usb connection on the bottom of the remote and plug it into your phone. That will stop the charging. make sure the connection on the left of the remote is unplugged.
Plugging into the bottom USB on the RC does not stop the charging of Android devices.

No if I plug my android tablet in the bottom port it flattens the controlled battery in no time atall! I'm sure on some android devices you can disable charging on a usb data connection you used to anyway.

New Mavic owner but “old hand” with Android phones.

I had the same charging issue on my Android this weekend, so I went into battery settings and turned off Fast Cable Charging. Also pulled down the notification window and changed the USB connection type media transfer. Between these two changes my Galaxy Note 5 doesn't charge much from the RC. 2 flights (40 total minutes) and RC was down to 74% while phone was at 80%.

Reactions: htommy
For best results start both with f

this is wrong, if you connect to the phone/tablet from the USB-A and connect a battery (portable charger into the micro USB) you should be fine.
This has been covered in many threads.

For best results start both with f

this is wrong, if you connect to the phone/tablet from the USB-A and connect a battery (portable charger into the micro USB) you should be fine.
This has been covered in many threads.
who should be construed as correct,i did a google and said it was bad to use portable charges on the rc

who should be construed as correct,i did a google and said it was bad to use portable charges on the rc

I would not take anything I read on the net including what I posted a any type of a fact ether.
Myself and many others use this method without problem.
A search of this website will confirm this.
It's common practice for the informed.
I certainly understand all concerns about damaging equipment. Your caution is correct.

Reactions: wytnyt
I would not take anything I read on the net including what I posted a any type of a fact ether.
Myself and many others use this method without problem.
A search of this website will confirm this.
It's common practice for the informed.
I certainly understand all concerns about damaging equipment. Your caution is correct.
i did use it to charge my rc and phone last night and no issues when i ran the rc today
im getting lots of non-flight hours in my lazeboy:)

On many (but not all!) phones, putting a current limiting resistor on the Vbus line (red wire) will cause the charging circuit to back off, stopping the charging without dropping the connection. I've tested this on Galaxy S7 and Nexus 7 with a 330ohm resistor.

Is the 330 ohm resistor still working for you? Did you put the resistor in-line to the v-bus? If yes, I find that even 150 ohm creates too much of a voltage drop.

Is the 330 ohm resistor still working for you? Did you put the resistor in-line to the v-bus? If yes, I find that even 150 ohm creates too much of a voltage drop.
The entire point of it is to create a voltage drop the moment the phone starts to draw any current, hoping the charging circuit will back off after it drops, and won't try again. If you see a permanent voltage drop down to almost 0 - sorry, this method just isn't working with that device.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake