DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller not charging phone

When you say it’s “not charging”, are you expecting the phone power level to INCREASE while flying your drone? Because it will not.

My controller will provide JUST ENOUGH power to my phone to keep my phone power level CONSTANT while flying my drone. Whereas if the controller is not charging my phone, the phone power level will DECREASE by about 1% for every minute I fly my drone.
If that. Controller will only put out 500mA, and a phone can easily use more current than that, the excess drawn from the phone battery. The Go/Fly apps draw lots of resources.

Reactions: TerryToast
Funny, I can charge my iPhone 6s while flying my MA2, but not my iPad Mini. Any suggestions? Luckily, I typically charge the iPad mini before flying, so it isn't a huge issue.

It may actually be charging but you don't notice. A tablet has a lot more battery capacity than a phone, so 500mA charge rate on a tablet is not very significant.

Or did you check the setting on the app installed on your tablet? I'm pretty sure it's a per app setting and not per RC or per AC.

yes, DJI fly app.. app version says 1.2.1

OK, so could really be a bad USB port. That said, there are a handful of incidents of people needing to put their Android phones in USB-Debug mode to make it work with the controller. I would try that first before replacing.

Besides my Iphone XS, I also tried a 6S with the same result. It says it's charging, but it's not lol. Must be the controller or the lightning to usb C cable. Odd that the phone would show charging in either case.
I believe it IS charging just not enough to keep up with the drain the DJI Fly app causes..

Reactions: Kilrah
Condsider your self lucky, many Android users would love to be able to switch charging off but can not. Besides if you read the numerous "controller charging the phone" threads many mention that iphones and maybe i-tablets do not draw a charging current from the controller.
Reupping this discussion.

It appears that even with Fly App 1.2.2, if you are using an android phone then the controller automatically charges the phone. I came from an iPhone and I was looking for the option to disable this function and I could not find it.

Charging the android phone really zaps the battery life of the MA2 controller and I would like to disable this function.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear