DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Converting Cache to 2k (Android Device)

Starsky1970s

Reactions
Hi people,
I purchased the mini a week ago and I am struggling to find the best way to transfer my video to the album cache to convert it to 2k other than downloading from the mini which takes ages, I am using the Samsung S10+ for reference.
I watched a youtube video of a guy transferring his data using a card reader with a lightning connector but this was for an IPhone and he transferred them to his gallery, when I try the same idea using my Samsung but it does not give me the same options to transfer the videos. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Video cache stored by the Fly app is only the low resolution live feed from the AC. The 2.7k (or lower, depending on your settings) full res video stream is only stored on the SD card and it's not transfered live anywhere else during flight.

Only ways to get it out of the SD card are:

- Taking the SD out and reading it. You can use a USB reader and a USB OTG (on the go) adapter for your phone if you're not planing to use a PC or tablet. Mi S8 comes with an adapter on the box and I have a reader that works perfectly. Then I use the file manager to copy to internal SD or onboard storage. This is the quickest method if your reader is UHS-1 bus speed compliant up to around 100 MB/s. Cheaper readers will only go up to ~17 MB/s speeds.

- Connecting the drone itself via USB. It's the same as above but using the drone as the card reader. It's uncomfortable as you have to power it on and can overheat and induce unnecessary wear on the battery.

- Finally you can transfer the videos using the remote control via the Fly app. There's an option for downloading each video when the drone is on, but it is painfully slow.

Also, just to be clear, there is no way of "transforming" the low res cache files to 2k. Only way to get 2.7k quality is to get the raw files out of the SD card.

Reactions: RobertoCara
Video cache stored by the Fly app is only the low resolution live feed from the AC. The 2.7k (or lower, depending on your settings) full res video stream is only stored on the SD card and it's not transfered live anywhere else during flight.

Only ways to get it out of the SD card are:

- Taking the SD out and reading it. You can use a USB reader and a USB OTG (on the go) adapter for your phone if you're not planing to use a PC or tablet. Mi S8 comes with an adapter on the box and I have a reader that works perfectly. Then I use the file manager to copy to internal SD or onboard storage. This is the quickest method if your reader is UHS-1 bus speed compliant up to around 100 MB/s. Cheaper readers will only go up to ~17 MB/s speeds.

- Connecting the drone itself via USB. It's the same as above but using the drone as the card reader. It's uncomfortable as you have to power it on and can overheat and induce unnecessary wear on the battery.

- Finally you can transfer the videos using the remote control via the Fly app. There's an option for downloading each video when the drone is on, but it is painfully slow.

Also, just to be clear, there is no way of "transforming" the low res cache files to 2k. Only way to get 2.7k quality is to get the raw files out of the SD card.
Thanks for the reply, I am such a t##. after reading your reply I noticed your are using the file manager and I had been using the file viewer app. I tried the file manager and it is working. :) Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the reply, I am such a t##. after reading your reply I noticed your are using the file manager and I had been using the file viewer app. I tried the file manager and it is working. :) Thanks for the help.
Great I did help you somewhat! I didn't read your message well in the first place and didn't understand you were having problems copying the files.

Yes, my S8 with latest Android 9 comes with a filer manager app from Samsung, I don't know it's specific name in other languages as I'm using it in German. With that open and the SD reader plugged in, you can then navigate to the storage folder inside the SD (it's called "100MEDIA" on mine). Then you can select one or multiple files, hit the copy option in the menu, then navigate to whatever folder inside your phone or internal SD and hit paste.

There are other third party file manager apps in the store. You can use whatever you find more user friendly.

Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc