DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Corner focus problem due to lens/sensor-issue

I can veeery slight variations in corner sharpness, and can't really judge the upper right one due to lack of contrasty detail, but I'd say it's good.

I thought the same after comparing to others I've seen posted here. Thanks.

Hi guys! Just randomly came across this thread, and of course started worrying if I have this issue as well. Once I read about what you guys call "soft corners", I remembered that especially one of my shots had quite a soft upper left corner. Could some of you please check if that's the case? I just made a test edit, and thinking of it, there might be more shots that have somewhat of soft corners as well, but focus on 0:54, at the mountain tops in the upper left corner:

Does this mean I should send the mavic back? :(

Looks a tad soft, but it's hard to judge by the video. Note that the 16:9 video format already crops away a lot of the extreme corner. Do you have a still photo, shot straight downwards to the ground, with detail on the ground?

Hi guys! Just randomly came across this thread, and of course started worrying if I have this issue as well. Once I read about what you guys call "soft corners", I remembered that especially one of my shots had quite a soft upper left corner. Could some of you please check if that's the case? I just made a test edit, and thinking of it, there might be more shots that have somewhat of soft corners as well, but focus on 0:54, at the mountain tops in the upper left corner:

Does this mean I should send the mavic back? :(
Were you happy with your Mavic before you've found this thread? Send it in if not. Otherwise stop searching for flaws, there are many.

I'm in Ireland - had the same issue image graduating to soft on bottom right side: it's either a misaligned lens element or sensor. After a bit of back and forth with DJI chat (not very helpful) and on telephone (extremely helpful and sharp) I got the UPS label, and RMA approval: dispatched 11th Jan- they received in NL today. Registered as received two hours later: They say they'll have it in a box back to me replaced within 5 days. Probably another 5 days on top for Surface UPS. I'll keep ye all posted...
I know of another Dublin guy who had the same prob and sent his back and got his back to dublin within 6 working days

January
15. > Support Ticket
16. > Reply > Will send me an UPS Label to send it in
17. > Label received
18. > UPS Pick up
20. > Mavic arrives in the Netherlands
23. > No news so far :(
25. > Still no news > Will sell the Mavic... ordered Phantom 4 Pro...[/QUOTE]
27. > Great news... no replacement units in the Netherlands :) (P4P is great... cam perfect)

Oh man. I sent my new Mavic back to DJI as DOA because of a blurry lower left corner. Today received a new Mavic, and guess what? It's even worse.

Replying to myself, today I received my third Mavic from DJI, since the first two were dead on arrival with this corner sharpness issue. So, what's your guess everybody, is this one all right?

Well, here's the answer. Again, the lower right corner is blurred. Not as bad as the previous one, but still enough to make it unusable for any photography. I'm frustrated. I'm leaving on a photo journey to Iceland next Tuesday, and now I don't have a drone. I'm almost crying.

Test photo, shot straight downwards to a plane subject.

maik_20170202_162822_fc220.jpg

Here's a DNG of this. Compare upper right and lower right corner, for example: https://musall.de/files/tmp/maik_20170202_162822_fc220.dng

I am having the same type of issues with my Mavic and I can say that it is not a problem caused by the physical limitations of the camera/sensor. The problem is while one area of the image is sharp (at least relatively), another section on the same focal plane is totally soft. There is almost tilt-shift like effect with the images. The same issue also appears in video. To me it looks like a misalignment between lens and sensor. I have an email out to DJI and will be calling them on Monday as it sounds like this is the best way to get worthwhile customer support.
full

full

full

I have this problem. It's very noticeable. I'm going to wait to send mine back until they work out the kinks.

I don't remember where I read about the water color effect on video. Have you tried the same solution? soft camera reset setting the video mode to pal and then back to ntfs?

I have this same problem as well. What I don't understand is that only some of the clips have it. This is a fixed aperture camera correct? It seems that something is changing whether or not the corners are soft. Maybe it is the AF?

Reactions: Sndflea
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1