DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cost Comparison

m0j0

Reactions
So in discussing the topic of the SC with other members here. One of the biggest issues for everyone is the cost of the SC. Here are the numbers. New devices of course and of course this assumes you want to use a higher end dedicated display.

I just looked at Amazon so maybe you can find them cheaper but a quick search:

DJI MAVIC 1499 + Goggles 299 = 1798

DJI Mavic Pro with SC = 1899

DJI Mavic 1499 + Ipad Mini 394 + mount 30 = 1923

DJI Mavic 1499 + Crystal Sky 464 + mount 30= 1993

DJI Mavic 1499 + Crystal Sky 7inch 694 + mount 30 = 2223

DJI Mavic 1499 + SC 649 = 2148 (this scenario gives you two TX though)

Seems like if you have already purchased the Mavic 2 Pro there are cheaper routes than the SC although none of them are All-IN-ONE solutions. In that regard the SC is unmatched for the Mavic 2. If you already have a great display than obviously its cheaper to keep what you have. If you don't have a serviceable display. It's the cheapest route for a display other than goggles. For me I needed a new display. My iPad Mini 2 does not work well with Go4. Bundle is a great deal for a new flier or if you need to upgrade to a new display. Not bad for the newest tech available.

So in discussing the topic of the SC with other members here. One of the biggest issues for everyone is the cost of the SC. Here are the numbers. New devices of course and of course this assumes you want to use a higher end dedicated display.

I just looked at Amazon so maybe you can find them cheaper but a quick search:

DJI MAVIC 1499 + Goggles 299 = 1798

DJI Mavic Pro with SC = 1899

DJI Mavic 1499 + Ipad Mini 394 + mount 30 = 1923

DJI Mavic 1499 + Crystal Sky 464 + mount 30= 1993

DJI Mavic 1499 + Crystal Sky 7inch 694 + mount 30 = 2223

DJI Mavic 1499 + SC 649 = 2148 (this scenario gives you two TX though)

Seems like if you have already purchased the Mavic 2 Pro there are cheaper routes than the SC although none of them are All-IN-ONE solutions. In that regard the SC is unmatched for the Mavic 2. If you already have a great display than obviously its cheaper to keep what you have. If you don't have a serviceable display. It's the cheapest route for a display other than goggles. For me I needed a new display. My iPad Mini 2 does not work well with Go4. Bundle is a great deal for a new flier or if you need to upgrade to a new display. Not bad for the newest tech available.
These are challenging decisions to make. It depends on what you value, and that can change with each situation..

Missing from this price comparison is the CS Ultra, which would be the highest price option

Price is not the only consideration, though. There are trade-offs.

There are YT videos which show the CSU vs CS HB, and their conclusion was that the CSU was worth the price difference.
Other YT videos demonstrate the greater flexibility of the CS line over the SC.
The best viewing option in bright daylight are the goggles. With the goggles there is no such thing as screen glare.

I have DJI goggles, the CSU, and the ipad mini 4 (considering upgrading to the 5)
I enjoy the goggles the most, but not every flying situation works for the goggles.
I enjoy the portability of the ipad mini 4 because there is no need for a mounting device, the mini fits in the bag, takes the least amount of time to get flying, and has the best DJI Go 4 app management. For my current set up options, this is the most stream lined, and I enjoy it for that reason

The CSU on a tripod is fantastic, but it requires the most set up time. The odd thing is that the set up time is only an additional 3 minutes, which is comparatively immaterial, and yet I think of that as another delay, and several more pieces of equipment to carry and keep track of. Oddly enough, use of a tripod seems to legitimize the whole endeavor, and yet I had my first ever app crash this week, and it was while using the CSU; fortunately, I trust RTH.

The CS line, the SC, and the goggles are all android. I don't own the SC, but my experience has been the ios work better than android; hence the mini.

Being that the SC fits in the bag, has strong brightness, and the least amount of set up time, it would appear to be the most balanced option though not necessarily the best, which is why these decisions are so challenging. It depends on what you value, and what trade-offs you are willing to accept.

If I had to select only one monitoring device, it would be the goggles. For me, the goggles are the only monitoring device that materially alter the experience, and they work in bright daylight. It used to be that using the goggles required no other device, but now there has to be a phone/pad as well, so mini stays anyway I turn. The challenge with the goggles is people. I live in a state of only 3M people, and yet no matter where I go, someone else is there, or will arrive there. The goggles are best when you can relax into them, but people make that easier said than done.

The one thing I am sure of is that this hobby is costing me a small fortune though it pales in comparison to buying a bass boat, and the hours are better.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
Hi

I think first you can not compare
Mavic2 Pro and Mavic Pro
Mavic 2 Pro is more advance
Second, I believe Mavic2 Pro
With stock remote plus SC will be the best for now
You can use on reg basis SC become it is fast setup and good display
For special situation like use Litchi
Or Autopilot app you can use stock remote with smart phones
If DJI one day will allow these apps run on SC then you do not need
Stock RC

Can you put a price on fun? Or the lost time not flying?
Just buy whatever you think would work for you and get out and have fun [emoji16].
I’m glad to own the RC w/Mini4 , SC, Zoom, and Pro2.
It’s only money. If you don’t spend it, your S.O. Will!

Reactions: ff22 and Greg6032
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones