DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Costs of getting Part 107 license

MavicFlyer

Reactions
I have some questions about getting the commercial license:

I understand that the fee to take the written test is $150, and goes to the test center. The FAA does NOT charge a fee for the license?
Are there any prerequisites to take the written exam? Do you need proof of any training? Do you just bring a gov't issued photo ID (e.g., driver license)?

What if you don't get a passing score, and want to try again?
Do you have to pay the $150 fee again (assuming you go to the same test center)?
How long before you can you can retake it? Is it just a matter of time going by, or do you need to get some additional training?

After you pass the test, and get the official piece of paper (plastic), do you have to pay to renew it periodically? I understand that you have to take a written periodically...is there a charge for that?

I understand that the fee to take the written test is $150, and goes to the test center. The FAA does NOT charge a fee for the license?
No. The only fee is $150 to take the exam.

Are there any prerequisites to take the written exam? Do you need proof of any training?
No

Do you just bring a gov't issued photo ID (e.g., driver license)?
Yes

Do you have to pay the $150 fee again (assuming you go to the same test center)?
Yes you need to pay the $150 fee again no matter where you take it.

How long before you can you can retake it?
You must wait 14 days before you can retake it.

do you need to get some additional training?
No

I understand that you have to take a written periodically...is there a charge for that?
Yes there is a charge for the recurrent test that you must take every 24 months.

Some testing facilities charge $160. When I took my test, the local facility charged $160.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
No. The only fee is $150 to take the exam.

No

Yes

Yes you need to pay the $150 fee again no matter where you take it.

You must wait 14 days before you can retake it.

No

Yes there is a charge for the recurrent test that you must take every 24 months.

I would add one thing: you need proof of residential address. I took my initial 107 test at La Guardia airport in NYC, and they required this. I would assume its the same at any FAA testing center..

Same thing here. I had to show my current drivers license when I arrived. I am unsure if this is the case for every facility, but I think it is a requirement.

I would add one thing: you need proof of residential address. I took my initial 107 test at La Guardia airport in NYC, and they required this. I would assume its the same at any FAA testing center..
At LaGuardia...was that an FAA test center or a commercial facility? If it was FAA, did they charge $150?

It's been a long time, back in the 1970s, since I took my private pilot written exam at the GADO at TEB, and I don't remember paying a fee. I do remember paying the FAA designated examiner his fee for my check ride...nothing to the FAA. That was before the age of user fees.

At LaGuardia...was that an FAA test center or a commercial facility? If it was FAA, did they charge $150?

It's been a long time, back in the 1970s, since I took my private pilot written exam at the GADO at TEB, and I don't remember paying a fee. I do remember paying the FAA designated examiner his fee for my check ride...nothing to the FAA. That was before the age of user fees.

FAA test facility. Yeah they charged $150..

If you go into the FAA website, you can enroll in their section 107 drone training course which tells you all about the process, has training videos and sample testing questions. It cost $25 per month but if you are getting it for business reasons, it is tax deductible. Great site, lots of information, helps get you registered to take the test, etc. Highly recommend it.

I have some questions about getting the commercial license:

Are there any prerequisites to take the written exam? Do you need proof of any training? Do you just bring a gov't issued photo ID (e.g., driver license)?

What if you don't get a passing score, and want to try again?
How long before you can you can retake it? Is it just a matter of time going by, or do you need to get some additional training?

After you pass the test, and get the official piece of paper (plastic), do you have to pay to renew it periodically? I understand that you have to take a written periodically...is there a charge for that?
The testing center gets the money. I think it’s $96 at a center but at an airport testing site I paid $160. They get a cut at the airport.

renews every two years. I think a different exam but still have to renew.

study and prepare. It’s not an easy exam but if you prepare and pay attention to the questions you should do fine. I used two prep courses. One video and the other a book with software for practice exams and study guides. No certificate is required to sit for the exam but again....it’s challenging. But great info to know.

hope that helps.

If you go into the FAA website, you can enroll in their section 107 drone training course which tells you all about the process, has training videos and sample testing questions. It cost $25 per month but if you are getting it for business reasons, it is tax deductible. Great site, lots of information, helps get you registered to take the test, etc. Highly recommend it.

I'm afraid you weren't really on the real FAA's website, because they don't offer any paid drone training courses on their site.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
I'm afraid you weren't really on the real FAA's website, because they don't offer any paid drone training courses on their site.
You are correct, my mistake. I registered online through them and thought it was directly through the FAA. I am still very happy with their video training course. I purchased a book previously but prefer the video course. I would still recommend it highly.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke