DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Cove Point Lighthouse Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Julius Danziger

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just visited the Cove Point Lighthouses on the Western part of Chesapeake Bay Maryland .It is still a functioning lighthouse from about 1837 to date

Reactions: W2EJ and sikspy
Thanks for the input.The Lighthouse was closed because it was not open for the season .However I stepped back about 50 yards from the locked gate and lifted off and flew around it.Worth a trip if ever you in that area

Thanks for the input.The Lighthouse was closed because it was not open for the season .However I stepped back about 50 yards from the locked gate and lifted off and flew around it.Worth a trip if ever you in that area
thanks for the additional infos Julius! Unfortunately I live very far away from the lighthouse-location... ?In Southern Germany!
cheers Paul

Video a bit choppy - IMHO (does take practice in both flight and post processing). I love lighthouses and DJI has some built in fly routes for video that work great for them. Some far better than others, as I don't really like the "boomerang" one. Have never seen a really good video from that perspective as most fly too fast outward. When doing a dramatic point like a lighthouse - slow and easy, again IMHO - is best viewing capable.

We have several lighthouses on Cape Hatteras, NC - 2 are NP's - which makes for interesting captures flying from off park property - but one is private owned and a very nice easy one to drone. They also opened it back to the public, but at $10 a head to walk up about 200 steps and back down - I'll stick with droning from the outside.

Just visited the Cove Point Lighthouses on the Western part of Chesapeake Bay Maryland .It is still a functioning lighthouse from about 1837 to date

I have looked at flying there might self. But when I put the location into Kittyhawk. It comes up as class D low level only. Did you have any warning when you took off?

.I don't remember if I had to get authorization.However it was nor restrictive and I launched and flew without any issues.

Video a bit choppy - IMHO (does take practice in both flight and post processing). I love lighthouses and DJI has some built in fly routes for video that work great for them. Some far better than others, as I don't really like the "boomerang" one. Have never seen a really good video from that perspective as most fly too fast outward. When doing a dramatic point like a lighthouse - slow and easy, again IMHO - is best viewing capable.

We have several lighthouses on Cape Hatteras, NC - 2 are NP's - which makes for interesting captures flying from off park property - but one is private owned and a very nice easy one to drone. They also opened it back to the public, but at $10 a head to walk up about 200 steps and back down - I'll stick with droning from the outside.
Thanks for the input.What post processing do you use?.I did not do any post processing on the video.Also how do you alleviate the choppiness?
Also did not use any of th DJI fly routes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying