DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Covid 19,and this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epidemiologists know viruses; they don’t know economies. Their word is not gospel, but it has to be taken as part of a whole, and the big picture can never get lost. A recession heavy and deep enough will for all intents and purposes be indistinguishable in the damage it wreaks across the country from a bad pandemic. Recessions cause death and suffering too. My suggestion would not be to just “let it run it’s course,” don’t really know where that came from. I am just suggesting that maybe, just maybe, there are other approaches that we could consider. Other countries are taking different steps. Some are quarantining the elderly (65+), being the most vulnerable population, and letting everyone else go to work as normal with heightened awareness and proactive measures about sanitizing, touching of the face, unnecessary crowds etc. the lock-step I see in the media and the government with complete lack of opposing views on the steps we have and are taking is concerning to me. Any time there is unanimous consensus and no debate on something my antennae pop up. Especially on something with the enormous consequences as shutting down the American economy.

On a side note, I’ve worked in healthcare for over 15 years now. I am still going to work every day because I have to, knowing full well that I am potentially exposing myself to this thing. So I assure you there is no “ignorance” going on here - what there is is perspective and healthy skepticism. Those things are important to have no matter what is going on. I am not bringing up these questions out of concern for myself or any kind of selfishness, healthcare is notoriously recession-proof. America could be burning and I would still have a job to go to. Recessions don’t affect me the way they do most people. I am concerned about the millions of people out there who don’t have the means to make it through a deep recession.

I haven't seen an actuarial study of the various cost of one strategy versus the others proposed (mass quarantine versus selective for the elder and others at high risk). I'm in that high risk group and would have no problem having that discussion since as you said there will be a cost in lives associated with a deep recession.

But to have an intelligent conversation we would need an accurate understanding of all the cost involved. This virus is said to be 3 or 4 times more contagious than the regular flu. There will be a lot of people under 65 that will get very sick that won't die but will need out of home medical care. According to the statistics I've read there is a higher mortality rate for those under 65 versus the death rate from the seasonal flu. It may be far to early to know with any certainty what the ultimate cost will be of the various strategies so the immediate strategy would be to do what you know will save lives now versus making decision based on speculations about what the cost in lives my be in 1 ~ 5 years due to a long recession.

Reactions: old man mavic
We all have our opinions, mostly based on our personal point of view. Several of us, yes us, can watch the same news cast and have totally different feelings and thoughts about what was said and what it meant.

In America this is called Freedom of Speech, expression. In many countries, now and in history, it is called "obstructionism" or _______(you fill in the blank), and punishable.

A few sincerely believe they have all the answers, others may not be quite so sure.
Only time has the answers...Stay safe.

The first line is true and correct, the paragraph afterwards may, or may not be.... ;):

Heard a Dr. on TV say to have inner peace we should always finish things we start and we all could use more calm in our lives.

I looked through my house to find things I'd started and hadn't finished, so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two al hve a Marry Crispmouse!?

Haven’t really read every single post in this thread, so apologize if my thoughts are repetitive.
What is happening right now in the United States is media-induced mass hysteria. It’s the deliberate destruction of trillion(s) $$$ of wealth for a marginally flattened outbreak curve. At some point we have to ask ourselves when does the real economic destruction outweigh any good of somewhat containing the spread of this virus. At what point do we start asking which is worse? And why is it so socially unacceptable to bring that up? Why is everyone now an expert on the coronavirus and also a moral admonisher of those insufficiently “serious” about the outbreak? Just how much power exactly does the media have over us and our daily lives? Can we ask the question when is it appropriate to stop destroying people’s lives over this? Where is the end line? Should we have done ALL of this? Real people are going to experience real suffering for years to come, millions and tens of millions of people. Not because of the virus, but because we allowed the media and the government to press the “stop” button on a $20 trillion economy.

I thought this video would be of interest to since it gets as deep into the issue raised more than anything else I've seen or read.

The Cost of Mass Quarantine vs Limited Quarantine

Ok guys just deleted a post that wasn’t directed at this Worldwide issue and was political. This thread has seemed
to make a turn towards a place we will not go any further into not even in Off Topic.
Continue here on this virus as need to stay up on it but it is not
going to turn political.
Continued here
. covid 19,and this forum update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads