DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cracked camera lens.

You buy the tempered glass UV protection lens from eBay
the old cracked lens is very easy to remove you just need to slightly heat it up with a blow dryer and use a needle to lightly pull the lens out

Thanks Horace951!!!, i hope i can fix my mavic, today i crashed to a wall and it blroke the lens.
i dont know if i have to use a filter or a film protective like the picture you posted.
i hope for your advice
The one I posted off eBay is actually glass not a film if you go to eBay and type in DJI mavic protective tempered glass UV lens there will be all about the same quality just different prices with shipping. I tried to share the link from eBay but it would not let me share so I took a picture of my receipt and posted it on this thread

The one I posted off eBay is actually glass not a film if you go to eBay and type in DJI mavic protective tempered glass UV lens there will be all about the same quality just different prices with shipping. I tried to share the link from eBay but it would not let me share so I took a picture of my receipt and posted it on this thread

thank you so much! I already bought tempered glass online. Should I assume you do not need glue to install it?

thank you so much! I already bought tempered glass online. Should I assume you do not need glue to install it?
Yes you are right you do not need any glue the glass comes with some sort of sticky adhesive tape on the back that works perfect

This is a nice thread!..:)
This helps me a LOT!

Also crashed my Mavic to a little branch wich I didn't see on the display of the phone..:( Suddenly I just saw him crashing.
So I ran to the drone, saw him fighting with the earth and unfortunately a saw the crack in the lens.
I feel a bit stupid I did not use the PGYTECH hd covers. Wich I immediately ordered online.

I found this item for the glass on ebay as well:
LINK TO EBAY

The covers I found here:
LINK TO COVERS

Just a question @Horaice951, does the glass, fits like the original glass? So it is "in" the camera, and not out of his body.

THNX AGAIN! getting up the hairdryer right now! hehe

Greets Jeroen

Just found some other ND filters wich really look like the ones from PGYTECH.
Check them out HERE

brand is SunnyLife, costs for 6 filters 35,99 USD !!!

Reactions: Horace951
This is a nice thread!..:)
This helps me a LOT!

Also crashed my Mavic to a little branch wich I didn't see on the display of the phone..:( Suddenly I just saw him crashing.
So I ran to the drone, saw him fighting with the earth and unfortunately a saw the crack in the lens.
I feel a bit stupid I did not use the PGYTECH hd covers. Wich I immediately ordered online.

I found this item for the glass on ebay as well:
LINK TO EBAY

The covers I found here:
LINK TO COVERS

Just a question @Horaice951, does the glass, fits like the original glass? So it is "in" the camera, and not out of his body.

THNX AGAIN! getting up the hairdryer right now! hehe

Greets Jeroen
You are very welcome. The replacement glass rest just a tiny bit above the lip. It's meant to stick on your original glass so I think they make it a little bit bigger but it shouldn't affect any ND filters that you want to put on it

Reactions: newguy
For the people that sent it to DJI without refresh, how much time did they took to replace the glass and how much did it cost?

For the people that sent it to DJI without refresh, how much time did they took to replace the glass and how much did it cost?
Think that may be in another post. This post is for people that don't want to send in there bird Or pay a **** load for dji to fix it. Its a cheap and 2 min fix. Good luck bud.

Any tutorials that show how to replace properly?

Sorry when I broke my lens I did not videotape the removal and replacement of the old lens. Haven't had to replace it again since then but the next time I'll make a tutorial. It's pretty easy though if you follow the directions up above it will take you about 5 minutes or less

Thanks Horace951!!!, i hope i can fix my mavic, today i crashed to a wall and it blroke the lens.
i dont know if i have to use a filter or a film protective like the picture you posted.
i hope for your advice
Note that Horace has mentioned the "lens protector" that was designed to stick on the outside of the lens glass, is the same thickness as the original lens glass. So it sounds like it slides right in and acts as a replacement for the original lens glass. Right?

I was able to get my lens out of the camera by just heating it slightly with a blow dryer and a needle and the lens popped right out with no residue or glue behind it. I ended up using one of those tempered glass protective lens covers picture looks good no more crack or scratches

Thanks too ! good tip :)
(more explanations on the needle / blow dryer method would be appreciated - do you simply heat up the thing and pick at it until it falls out .. ?)

Thanks too ! good tip :)
(more explanations on the needle / blow dryer method would be appreciated - do you simply heat up the thing and pick at it until it falls out .. ?)
Sorry I didn't go into more detail about it should have made a quick tutorial on it but yes you just heat it up slightly with the blow-dryer and the adhesive on the lens will peel right off very easily and with the needle you just kind of use it to pry the lens up without scratching or damaging your camera should take you about 2 minutes

Sorry I didn't go into more detail about it should have made a quick tutorial on it but yes you just heat it up slightly with the blow-dryer and the adhesive on the lens will peel right off very easily and with the needle you just kind of use it to pry the lens up without scratching or damaging your camera should take you about 2 minutes
Thanks !

Reactions: Horace951
Many thanks to Horace951 for posting this information. I followed his repair advice and direction and just completed the lens glass replacement WITHOUT having to remove camera itself. Here are a few pics and links for how i was able to complete the repair. Thought I would post.

Ebay link to lens cover here ($5 dollars each, I bought x2)
Amazon link to UV protector here ($8 dollars)

Cracked Lens Cover - No other damage to gimbal etc after crash (thank god) although i had to do a firmware update and tried the gimbal auto-calibrate reset about 5 times before if finally completed and fully recalibrated.

IMG_0817.JPG

The one time the factor gimbal clip actually homes in handy lol, i left it in the entire time during the repair:
IMG_0178.JPG

I used the blow dryer for about 2-3 minutes to heat up the lens cover/glue making the removal of it super simple.
IMG_3310.JPG

I then used a needle to remove the OEM lens cover - I started around the edges where there was already a crack, took a little working to finally get in there and removed but overall it came out super easy. Just be mindful not to let any of the cracked pieces fall down onto the lens itself.

IMG_3182.JPG

I then used the wet/dry wipes that came with the replacement lens cover to clean around the edges of the lens before adhering the new replacement - See link above for where replacement lens was purchased on eBay.
IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

As Horace925 mentioned, the replacement lens cover doesn't sit flush within the groove of the original OEM lens cover, it sits above/around it. CENTER the new lens cover correctly around the camera lens/body so it doesn't end up off-center once the adhesive drys (a result of the replacement lens not sitting inside the groove like the OEM lens cover) - and presto!!

IMG_2532.JPG

Replacement lens cover sitting above lens - Doesn't sit flush in groove which bothers my OCD just a little but Ill live with it.

IMG_1411.JPG

Lastly, after 24hrs of letting the replacement lens cover glue dry, I added a UV lens cap over the entire front of the lens for added protection (from the sun and crashes!). Not pictured but Ill try to get one up shortly.

Hope this helps you guys/girls out there! Feel free to message/post should should you have any questions!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szost557