DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crappy image quality

zwackelschuh

Reactions
Hey guys,

first of all, nice to be here. I hope to be in a good community here with other Mavic addicts.

I have seen so much stunning Mavic footage on the internet and was really obsessed with watching videos of this really amazing drone that i had to get one for myself. Last week, it finally arrived. I've been out flying around a bit while i was waiting for my Micro-SD card reader to arrive. The footage on my phone looked amazing and i was more than pleased by the results. Today the card reader arrived and I was really excited about viewing the footage i shot the last days on my computer. And i was VERY disappointed. It looked extremely crappy. I searched the internet about setting up the camera the best and found the videos from "The Film Poets" which also have been posted on this forum several times when it comes to camera settings on the mavic.

I was shooting in HD 1080p, auto exposure, just adjusting exposure with the wheel, so I had to give it another try. I was setting up the camera like said in the video. Manual exposure, 100 ISO, 1/50 shutter, D-Log, 3.7K, 25fps and Pal (due to my location in Europe) and what is most important: Custom Mode with the parameter +1 -1 -1 to avoid internal denoising. It was a cloudy day, I shot my footage at 20pm, sunset was at 22:30h, so there should have been still enough light to light up the scene.

But what I just saw when I came home and watching the footage on my computer shocked me again. The footage just looks crappy and does not come near to all the footage on the web, far away from the footage in the tutorial-video with the same settings which was filmed at sunset.

So what am I doing wrong? Is it just impossible to fly on cloudy days because footage will always look like ****? Can you just fly at bright sunlight to get good results? What am I doing essentially wrong? The camera on my first mobile phone that was able to take photos was of quivalent quality. That was back in 2001. ;) Do you have any tipps for me?

The next days shall be sunny so I will test the drone under sunny conditions. I don't have any experience yet under sunny conditions with my new learned settings.

To give you an impression of what I am talking about, I added 3 screengrabs of my footage. Please watch them in full-size to understand the issue I am talking about.

Thanks in advance and have a great evening.
Cheers, Tim

~edit: The first two grabs were shot with 1/100 shutter, the third one at 1/50 shutter.

19Wvb2CG4SuajBp-ZPuL3hSDUiyXkjXzoJMj6QMW08nXzc9Ie08dB2crW1_AmNN042pM6ubj7ldJonU=w1680-h945

XpxlAqqFW0Uj2zglhPvAVAuTIJY5B-oeG621R496YlUDbWtopYADfb3ngL7S3CkFRYeJ9B9JqcF0CX8=w1680-h945

uAsuCVzyO7vSvy9OvADVam6RHtl9iTzwE8ZsEk-ege-qMQ4rxqoFS1jKQincK47cFT1wBkpS2lz1h78=w1680-h945

Last edited:
Isn't d-log a raw format. So like raw photos the clips would need to be processed? Just asking I am still just flying the mavic and getting my maneuvers down before getting into video editing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13