DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Crash

DecJoIreland

Reactions
Hi there, I've been flying the air 2s for about 6 months now and it's been great, but last night I rushed to get it into the air to and it went up it's customary 3 meters and then suddenly flew into my neighbours wall. When I checked the flight path afterwards I saw that it wasn't connected to any satellites. Could this have been the cause? I had all my obstacle avoidance buttons on and can't figure out why it happened. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? Declan

Check the crash and flyaway section. No satellites, not good.
You are not the Lone Ranger.

Reactions: GFields
if you go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
you will find instructions on how to retrieve the flight log. Follow those instruction and upload the log to that website then copy and paste the resulting URL here
Was "night" literally dusk or darkness?
If so then the vision positioning sensors (VPS), on the bottom of the drone, will not work and it is likely that neither will the obstacle avoidance sensors.
If the air 2s behaves in the same way as my Minis and if it was dusk/dark you would have had to press an acceptance to get past launching with no functioning vision sensors.

Insufficient GPS and no VPS = ATTI mode, where the drone neither holds position nor brakes when you release the sticks, if you were unaware of this I think you need to reread the manual.

Hi there, I've been flying the air 2s for about 6 months now and it's been great, but last night I rushed to get it into the air to and it went up it's customary 3 meters and then suddenly flew into my neighbours wall. When I checked the flight path afterwards I saw that it wasn't connected to any satellites. Could this have been the cause? I had all my obstacle avoidance buttons on and can't figure out why it happened. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? Declan
Always wait for GPS lock and a good number of satellites. How damaged is your Air 2s?

The obstacle avoidance sensors are optical (visual only), so without GPS in the dark (you said it was at night) your drone had literally no independent control at all. It would be like flying one of those super twitchy $50 toys from several years ago.

Reactions: snowghost
Thanks, but I hadn't used the joy sticks either. Except when it was going into the wall I tried to go up but it was futile.

Thanks, but I hadn't used the joy sticks either. Except when it was going into the wall I tried to go up but it was futile.

Without either GPS or visual obstacle avoidance, you wouldn't have needed to touch the controls at all for it to have careened off somewhere. You seem to think that the drone is stable on its own ... it most certainly is not if it doesn't have the feedback mechanisms (GPS, etc) that yours didn't have.

Reactions: DecJoIreland
The obstacle avoidance sensors are optical (visual only), so without GPS in the dark (you said it was at night) your drone had literally no independent control at all. It would be like flying one of those super twitchy $50 toys from several years ago.
I learned to fly on those super twitchy $50 drones. Makes for good practice before flying your expensive DJI.

I learned to fly on those super twitchy $50 drones. Makes for good practice before flying your expensive DJI.

I had a couple of different ones. One even had a video camera with onboard storage. A fairly blurry 640x480 with terrible contrast. ;)

Reactions: snowghost
if you go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
you will find instructions on how to retrieve the flight log. Follow those instruction and upload the log to that website then copy and paste the resulting URL here
Was "night" literally dusk or darkness?
If so then the vision positioning sensors (VPS), on the bottom of the drone, will not work and it is likely that neither will the obstacle avoidance sensors.
If the air 2s behaves in the same way as my Minis and if it was dusk/dark you would have had to press an acceptance to get past launching with no functioning vision sensors.

Insufficient GPS and no VPS = ATTI mode, where the drone neither holds position nor brakes when you release the sticks, if you were unaware of this I think you need to reread the manual.
Ok. Thanks for the feedback.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LMcVetty