DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed and now my gimbal won't calibrate

RyanB286

Reactions
So I regularly fly indoors (not only to practise for real-estate shoots but because it rains a lot on van-island) and my mavic a couple of times now has changed the precision landing setting on its own from off to on, and rather than hovering at 1.2 metres, has flown up into the ceiling right after takeoff. This last time, after flying around and landing it did the same and after skimming the ceiling, rolling over and not so gracefully landing flat on its back, my gimbal won't calibrate. I've returned it to factory settings and updated again and same problem. When calibrating, it appears the left/right horizon roll is off. It goes only slightly left, but then almost completely upside down to the right, and it seems "loose" when returning to centre to perform the next sequence of moves. The whole sequence reaches 63-77 percent and then fails. I've checked the rubber shocks and they seem fine, I have the current app version and all my firmware is up to date.

My question is whether anyone else has had the same problem, both with the mavic changing settings autonomously, and the gimbal after a crash, and if they've been able to repair it, and how?

Is there something I'm missing? I don't understand how mid-flight the precision landing setting is getting turned back on, and now I've reached a point where I don't trust the aircraft to fly it.

The gimbal issue doesn't SEEM to affect the video and picture (although it hasn't been flown since), it simply fails when trying to calibrate. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice and I want to take her out and test her, but I'm gun shy with the new problem.

I've checked the rubber shocks and they seem fine,
And have you checked that the gimbal plate is beneath all three tabs? (the one in the back pops out easily.)

It's possible gimbal arm got enough impact on axels slightly bending it,see if all 3 freely rotates.I had crashed mine, after changing gimbal arm everything back to normal.fell with fingers if it's any heat from gimbal.

Following: Because, I’d also like to understand the functions lost, and exact resulting behavior of the Mavic when entering an indoor environment.

Indoors without GPS it wouldn't hoover steady in one place because different factors.

Indoors without GPS it wouldn't hoover steady in one place because different factors.
I get that. I've flown indoors with other platforms in atti many times, and I can handle that.

I'm mainly concerned with unexpected sudden automatic responses as the OP seemed to experience.

No help with the mode changes but did crash outdoors and messed up my gimbal before I had the thing a week. In my case I could see I had broken the video cable so took it apart and replaced it and the ribbon cable. Got video back but gimbal was doing what you describe. Some people online said that they manually rotated all three axis of the gimbal with power off and that fixed it but not for me. I could feel when rotating the lens in the roll axis that it would jam before getting to one end.
I had to buy a whole new gimbal but in your case try doing the manual exercise first, might work.

Reactions: RyanB286
It's actually QUITE Steady in opti mode as long as there's enough light, The issue however wasn't with a steady hover. Instead of stopping at 1.2 metres on take-off, it went all the way up to the ceiling.

I get that. I've flown indoors with other platforms in atti many times, and I can handle that.

I'm mainly concerned with unexpected sudden automatic responses as the OP seemed to experience.
Atti mode sucks lol. If all it can muster up is atti, I'll just wait until daylight again. When this accident occurred, it was in opti mode.

No help with the mode changes but did crash outdoors and messed up my gimbal before I had the thing a week. In my case I could see I had broken the video cable so took it apart and replaced it and the ribbon cable. Got video back but gimbal was doing what you describe. Some people online said that they manually rotated all three axis of the gimbal with power off and that fixed it but not for me. I could feel when rotating the lens in the roll axis that it would jam before getting to one end.
I had to buy a whole new gimbal but in your case try doing the manual exercise first, might work.
Thanks for the advice. The cables LOOK fine, but I'll take a closer look when I'm home and also give the manual spin a shot.

Can you manually launch, instead? Then you have altitude control.
Thanks for pointing out my own mistake! I actually HAD to manually launch being as I wasn't in GPS mode. And before anyone mentions it lol, I know it won't stop at 1.2 metres, that was my own error in explaining the incident. Nevertheless without pilot input it went straight up to the ceiling.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem