DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed - gimble overload

Trini_MP

Reactions
I had a crash... Mavic powering on... Getting Vidwo feed... But it's not moving.. Even after a restart. There are no physical signs of damage to the gimble

What do i do

Upon further investigation found the cable been torn... I ordered replacent cable... And well as damper plate as the rubber bands were also torn

Be careful unhooking and rehooking the rubber supports, they tear fairly easily. It's a pain transferring one from one vibration plate to another, but it can be done.

Take careful note of how your existing ribbon cable is bent and duplicate it before installing. There may have been a change in how they are installed in the factory as some YouTube videos are incorrect on one or two points. You only want to do this once since the adhesive doesn't like being asked to stick twice. Routing it correctly is not an intuitive or obvious process.

Make sure you don't get any of the factory cabling glue bits in the connectors on the gimbal or circuit board. Make sure you get those snap in connectors fully seated on the gimbal and circuit board.

96fa51e4d3f126456f8dd5753a0675f8.jpg

Looks just like the parts I replaced. My camera literally broke a piece off of the vibration plate, which is made from metal. Those fragile looking metallic thread wires that carry video are actually pretty tough. The ribbon cable is easily damaged. I wish they sold those rubber pieces separately. I ruined two of my new ones, but was able to transfer two of the old ones to the new plate. Hooking them up is harder than unhooking them. Somebody needs to make a special tool for this. They're very stretchy, but will cut through on any sharp edge in an instant.

Let me know if you get no video and a no SD card message when you're done. I'm pretty sure I know what causes that and it doesn't require taking the gimbal stuff back out.

Does the plate I ordered already have the rubber bands on then?
Mine came with them already installed. Mine was also marked as an official DJI part, but the cable wasn't. I ordered two more spare cables just in case. I kinda think they can fail in normal use without crashing. There are some "joints" that seem to be fragile. I'm thinking maybe wind and vibration can damage them over time.

Edit: By "them" I mean the ribbon cable.

Can u point me to the most accurate video as how to replace
I was afraid you'd ask me that. My advice is to watch as many as you can stand. Most have poor imagery, but they know the process. The one with the best imagery was the one that I take exception to one part where he has you fold the cable so that the two halves are more in line with each other. If I recall correctly, that turned out to be incorrect. It went together, but just didn't seem right in the end so i redid it. Take a lot of pictures of how yours is run and duplicate that. Try to delay peeling the adhesive covers until your confident of your work. There are bend lines on the cable, but they aren't completely clear in what you're supposed to do. That's why you want to get the old one out in one piece and pre bend the new one to match. Take your time.

Wow... That's a lot to take in... And yes I do recall the video u speak off... Well I hsve to wait for at least 3 weeks for parts to be delivered...which is going to be the most impatient wait ever..more than when I was awaiting its original delivery...

These will help!

I tore the rubber supports on the vibration plate...
It is possible to disconnect the gimbal by posting it to the side and unscrewing the gimbal where it minus to the vibration board. Saves trouble of removing the rubber bands.

Before I figured this out I made to little hook tools out of paper clips to manipulate the bands, which was helpful for me.
55b9c1205691246405e1d51a349ab206.jpg

Reactions: Afremont
I like the tools. Thanks for pointing out that the camera can be detached from the plate, but I thought the screws ran up from the other side and would be hard to get out with the vibration plate still attached.

I like the tools. Thanks for pointing out that the camera can be detached from the plate, but I thought the screws ran up from the other side and would be hard to get out with the vibration plate still attached.
It took several procedures before I figured out I could just push it over to access the screws.

They do stretch a lot, so that's probably a good way to go. Hooking the rubber over the tabs under the "drop hook" part of the vibration plate is maddening.

Here is a video shot with the intent of being clear on replacing the ribbon cable, but I'm not sure he has it exactly right at the end. He shaves the tab off to stop it from catching. Mine has a twist in that area that doesn't catch on the part he trimmed off. I'm not saying I got mine right 100%, but it doesn't catch on the gimbal. Since my cable was in three pieces, it was impossible for me to determine how it was originally done at the factory. This is one of the most counterintutive things I've ever had to figure out. It seems to me that the cable should have been designed differently.

BTW, be careful when taking the shell off. You have to unplug the GPS module before tilting the shell up. It sort of hinges at the front, but still makes me cringe when it snaps loose. Don't poke things under the front to release the tabs or you could damage the compass module located there.

Make sure you have good screwdriver tips and a hex bit that fits perfectly. You will need PH0 and PH000 Phillips head screwdrivers and (I believe) a 2.5mm hex bit. You definitely don't want to be stripping the heads out of these screws.

guys...parts come in today...will let u all know how it goes

fingers crossed

FAILURE!!!!!

i was able to replace the ribbon and damper bad...gimbal was able to calibrate and works fine...i think...but now i get no video!@!!!

I was cussing like mad...then i saw that one of the strands on the braided video cable was torn...

Question:
Would one strand of this cable cause a NO VIDEO feed????

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007