DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed Mavic Air 2 - analysis help please

Lt Mao

Reactions
Hello all

Relatively new recreational pilot. Started with the toy quadcopters and helicopters, moved up to a Mini, got pretty comfortable with that and just got a Mavic Air 2.

My MA2 drifted into the side of my house while landing RTH with a low battery. Crashed square on the front left arm and snapped it at the motor. While the MA2 was upside down on the driveway, motors were still spinning until I picked it up.

I don't feel like I panicked but I felt like I didn't have control at all as it was drifting towards the house. Doesn't it still allow user input during RTH?

Viewed the flight on AirData and it shows the MA2 drifting left even though I had the right joystick hard right. I also tried rotating so that rear sensor faced the wall.

Logs are attached, let me know what I did wrong.

Please and thanks

Attachments

• 20-06-10-05-55-50_FLY021.DAT
    5.3 MB · Views: 11
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-06-10_[17-59-02].txt
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I don't feel like I panicked but I felt like I didn't have control at all as it was drifting towards the house. Doesn't it still allow user input during RTH?
Here's what that flight data looks like:

Your drone was in RTH and heading home
At 7:57.1 you started adding joystick input to the RTH in progress, first giving full down throttle, then adding full aileron.
At 8:02.2 there is a message advising that the drone is backing up to avoid an obstacle.
Shortly after that, you add full rudder to the full down throttle and full aileron commonds that were still being applied.
At 8:05.3 you added full elevator to the mix.
At 8:05.6 the collision happened with the drone still in Go Home and trying to folllow its RTH programming but you were giving full joystick commands on all three axes.

The drone did not drift into the house.
You had a fight with the program that was doing the driving.
If you didn't want the drone to go where RTH was taking it, you should have cancelled RTH and resumed control.
Leaving RTH in command and fighting against it with full stick commands, while close to obstacles will usually end badly.

Here's what that flight data looks like:

Your drone was in RTH and heading home
At 7:57.1 you started adding joystick input to the RTH in progress, first giving full down throttle, then adding full aileron.
At 8:02.2 there is a message advising that the drone is backing up to avoid an obstacle.
Shortly after that, you add full rudder to the full down throttle and full aileron commonds that were still being applied.
At 8:05.3 you added full elevator to the mix.
At 8:05.6 the collision happened with the drone still in Go Home and trying to folllow its RTH programming but you were giving full joystick commands on all three axes.

The drone did not drift into the house.
You had a fight with the program that was doing the driving.
If you didn't want the drone to go where RTH was taking it, you should have cancelled RTH and resumed control.
Leaving RTH in command and fighting against it with full stick commands, while close to obstacles will usually end badly.

Ok thanks for the review. It was closer to the house than I was comfortable with while it was RTH, which is why I intervened. Should have cancelled the RTH.

Reactions: Tomas H.
Ok thanks for the review. It was closer to the house than I was comfortable with while it was RTH, which is why I intervened. Should have cancelled the RTH.
Also, if you are going to be allowing RTH to bring the drone back and land it, best to do it from an area with no obstacles within 15 feet because GPS is not pinpoint accurate and the RTH landing could be a few feet away from where it launched.

Ouch - sorry to hear about the accident!

I hope you had DJI Refresh, and is a simple replacement process for you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S