DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crooked horizon at times

RawRock

Reactions
Anyone know why my camera on a new Mavic 2 Pro I just got would have a crooked horizon quite often? I thought it was the wind, but is happening all the time and I’m hoping their is a way to fix it or calibrate it properly or something...

Anyone know why my camera on a new Mavic 2 Pro I just got would have a crooked horizon quite often? I thought it was the wind, but is happening all the time and I’m hoping their is a way to fix it or calibrate it properly or something...

Considering how many Drones we have purchased for our clients , you can try calibrating but we learned that if it just keeps coming back , we have to send it back.
Now we only accept drones that are spot on when it comes to the Horizon being level. They should be perfect out of the box.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain and Float on Water.

LONG POST AHEAD!

I would have to concur on Phantomrain's post. But to add there are a few things to look at. I guess first is to establish is the horizon level and then drifts off, and when it drifts does it constantly drift to same point/direction?

Regardless at first you can try to calibrate and see if it holds level from there. Know that DJI uses a controlled temperature environment and the factory calibration should for all intents be the best. Seeing as you don't know this (Calibration Procedure) brings some concern, but it isn't impossible to create a full spectrum calibration had something get knocked in shipment or what have you.

First you must chill the drone prior to performing this test. So you will to have the means to do so. The "Fridge" will work fine (Not the freezer). First and foremost you must practice this procedure on how to perform a IMU cal and get it down to a science...speed is essential. You must be able to get it from "Chill zone to level surface to power up and into that calibration in the shortest time possible.

This time zone will effect your IMU warm up time from there on. Note this and if any step is done incorrectly, you could just knock it worse from stock. IF any of this scares you or you don't feel confident, then just send it back as mentioned.

Level area will need to be set up prior and a spirit/carpentry level will suffice. Know that your kitchen table or floor or even countertop is probably not level depending on home build or time of build so this area will have to be established by you prior to the chill phase. I used a old glass refrigerator shelve to build mine and shimmed to level.

I did use adjustable legs on mine and used 4 bubble levels, but I am a crazy nutts engineer and over killed the whole thing...just make sure it is level from side to side, front to back and corner to corner. Again this is recreating the factory environment and should give you the "Ultimate" level horizon and calibration. It also should be as close as possible to the chill point and free from any vibration during the calibration cycle. This includes and up to walking in that area from spouse/pets/children.

Calibration procedure:

1. "Chill" Drone (Battery out) about 45 min-1 hr is sufficient.
2. Set up app to Sensor tab and IMU Calibration page and right at the point you hit the Calibrate "Button".
Note: this is where it gets tricky, sometimes when drone boots on it will revert back to start tab..and why
I mentioned practicing this procedure. You will need to get it back to the start Calibration as SOON as possible. Anything over around 10 seconds from drone power up to start calibration is going to effect this calibration.
3. Drone out and battery in, then to level surface, power on drone...HIT that Start Cal!
4. When that Calibration has finished, click over to the Gimbal Cal in App and perform that on same level surface.

This is a tried and proven method, some may call it overkill and may well be, but this is how it was explained to me by DJI Employees "back in the day" and has given perfect results when done as outlined.

Again this all may be for not, but if your up to it will verify if your aircraft is faulty. Best of luck...or just send it back..up to you :) But you did ask! :p

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Awesome, thanks guys.. i have done the IMU calibration a few times on my old Mavic Platinum but not like you describe. It is always the same direction and its driving me crazy. Thanks so much.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123