DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crossed Red Square/rectangular icon when stationary over water and descending?

oceanAddict

Reactions
Hello pilots,

I finally feel more comfortable to fly over the ocean and today was the day. I tried to make a picture of birds on the rocks not far from the shore and slowly lowered MM to about 30 ft off the water surface. Suddenly I see the the icon than I've never seen before - the vertical rectangular crossed over blinking in red. It was displayed where "Aircraft Orientation" symbol usually is. As soon as I get some altitude - it was gone. I brought MM back to shore, landed, checked that battery level is sufficient and I tried to lower it again over the water in different location and got this symbol again.

Any ideas? Is there a MINIMAL safe altitude I can lowed over the ocean? - condition - choppy water, small waves etc I've heard about the calm water issues.

Thanks and couple of pics :)DJI_0070.JPGDJI_0081.JPG

Last edited:
If I remember correctly that red icon means your phone compass isn't giving a good reading. Were you holding the phone near something metallic? Smartwatch, belt buckle or something? Alternatively it may mean your phone's GPS is off or not getting a good signal.

There are 2 very poorly documented red icons that can appear instead of the usual white orientation indicator. One means the phone's compass needs calibration/is experiencing magnetic interference and the other means no GPS fix on the phone.

When flying over water the manual recommends to keep at least 2m (6ft) above the surface. I've flown closer over calm water. Over the ocean I keep a greater height, to keep clear of waves and avoid the worst of any salty fine spray that often lingers close over the water.

Found the old thread where this was dicussed...

That red icon means the phone GPS and/or compass isn't giving reliable data to the app

Reactions: CommanderKJDF
Found the old thread where this was dicussed...

That red icon means the phone GPS and/or compass isn't giving reliable data to the app

So does it matter if the phone compass is not working right? Thanks

So does it matter if the phone compass is not working right? Thanks
Only if the aircraft orientation indicator is important to you. Nothing else is affected by a dodgy phone compass.

I don't use the indicator, so it doesn't matter for me whether the phone compass is working OK or not. I've done many successful flights with an incorrect phone compass reading.

Only if the aircraft orientation indicator is important to you. Nothing else is affected by a dodgy phone compass.

I don't use the indicator, so it doesn't matter for me whether the phone compass is working OK or not. I've done many successful flights with an incorrect phone compass reading.
Thanks

Reactions: scro
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying