DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crowd Sourced business models (Dronebase/Droners.io)

TMB Aerial

Reactions
OPINION/RANT: So I am finding myself a bit put off by these Uber for drones businesses like Dronebase and the new Droners.io (powered by PrecisionHawk). While I have been on 20 Dronebase missions (real estate/insurance) earning $1735 over 8 months and 2 Droners.io insurance missions earning $209.25 in the last 2 weeks and I can't really fault anyone for trying to run a business....I feel like us professional drone pilots are being taken advantage of with the amounts they pay out. Dronebase pays me $80 to go take 10 aerial photos for a Real Estate "Plan-O-matic" gig which takes all of maybe 15 mins once on site OR I get $70 for an insurance risk assessment gig that requires 60-80 photos and takes 30+ minutes on site. Why such a pay disparity? I can go to the Plan-O-Matic website and see that they charge $279 for the 10 aerial photo package and while I have no idea what Eagleview pays Dronebase (or what Allstate etc pays Eagleview) I had one instance where Droner.io sent me a "lead" for an insurance risk assessment gig starting at $100 which I declined because I was not available for the date, then the price increased to $150, which I again stated I was out of town that day...the price then increased to $250 which just made my jaw drop because of the disparity in pay out pricing. So in my mind I'm thinking ok, this is what you need to pay me for ALL risk assessment gigs going forward.....how does it go from $100 - $250 in the span of 2 hours? These pay outs are to say the least sketchy. I get that Dronebase and Droners.io have overhead costs but geez there are so many middlemen in this process (I know I know capitalism in action) between them - precisionhawk-eagleview - insurance co etc. These payouts to pilots seem paltry considering travel time, wear on equipment and all the time we put into honing our pilot skills, getting certified etc. Not to mention the training that both Dronebase & Droners.io require before you can gain missions/leads.

I will say that the gigs within an hours travel are worth it IF I get multiple gigs a week but the ones over an hour away just aren't (I've done the math) and I have expressed this to both entities that they need to increase pay outs for those. I realize there are many pilots and some may be closer and I know I can choose NOT to participate but my concern is this:

If you are a pilot for hire make sure that you truly do the math on what it is costing you to accept these missions and realize when you are actually losing money. Travel time, gas, equipment wear and tear. Your time spent gaining skills and certification are the cost of doing business but realize that what you possess is "a particular set of skills" and perishable ones at that. Don't under value yourself and in turn all of us.

I am NOT a hobbyist with a toy that is just going to fly anyway so I might as well make some cash. I am a professional with a substantial investment in time and equipment. I feel we are being strong armed out of making a living with these crowd sourced business models.

I'm curious how others feel about this.

Reactions: dkraftjr
Oh I am absolutely frustrated with this behavior.
I know that {insert aggregator} is getting north of $600 per claim. I worked on the original Airware/Statefarm project hand in hand with the adjusters that climb on the roofs.
I am sick to death of seeing jobs pop up 150 miles away, nobody commits and they slowly jack the price for a FIXED TIME 90 minute job from 90 up to $150 and sometimes even more before some schmuck will give in and do it for less than gas money.
Its insulting.

I guess we have to wait for the seed money to fade these "boardroom internet business developers" who read that "Drones are hot" and think they get in the middle.

I once sat thru a "Training mission" where the "Lead Pilot" claimed that a Phantom 4 would fly for 40 minutes. This after he claimed that he did 8-12 missions a day.
I doubt he did 8 flights in his life.

My name is Dave, I'm the creator/founder of Droners.io. I understand your frustration, particularly with the roof inspection jobs, I know the rate isn't anything to brag about.
When we do the price increases, that you mention above, we are doing them because we are required to fill the job no matter the cost. We are getting paid no where near the amount of the high prices you see come through, our margins are very small, just above the initial price (of $80) that the job gets sent out to the job board. So when you see the price bumps come through for a job, we are immediately losing money.

We know that roof inspections at ~$80/pop doesn't fit every drone pilots business model, but we hope that at volume, we will be able to fill the schedules of a lot of pilots and be able to provide value and a consistent source of income. If you have any questions or other comments - let me know - happy to listen.

Little late to this party ain't ya but Welcome to the forum ;)
Now be sure and if you decide to promote your service you go through this first .
Advertise with Us :)

Appreciate @droners dropping by to let us know how things work from their perspective.

I just signed-up for Droners.io myself.

Like everything, the pricing on these things are supply and demand. If the supply of people willing to work at a specified price point dries up, the price will go up. If you're willing to sit on the sidelines and wait it out, it may work out, it may not.

Commenting on an old thread but wanted to get your thoughts. In general I am ok with Droners.io but so many people post a job, then after "hiring" you think they will send a spreadsheet of five more properties and they think it is all for that same price... It is frustrating.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J