DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crystal Sky memory

Corey

Reactions
Hey everyone. I have a 5.5 CrystalSky and haven't really messed with it too much since I bought it. When I first got my Pro Platinum I was using my phone and any video or picture I took, it would be in a folder on my phone.

After having the CrystalSky for some time now and actually having some time to mess with my drone, I got it all out and went airborne. I was flying it to the back section of my neighborhood with all the new construction going on. Halfway over there I got an alert saying "cache is full".

I have a 128gb card in the slot of my Pro Platinum, but nothing in my CrystalSky. So am I running out of internal memory on the monitor? Can I take the micro SD card out of the drone and put it in the CrystalSky? Or do I need another micro SD card for both?

It's crazy how much you forget when you don't mess with something for a while. I was having a hard time figuring out what wires went to what and what wires used to charge stuff. Lol [emoji23]

Thanks!

• Sad
Reactions: MaxE1955!
You probably need another SD card for the CS, you need to keep the SD card in the drone for recording the best quality photos and video files.
If you try and record only to the CS your at the mercy of signal interruptions and interference which will affect the quality of the video being transmitted and recorded from the drone.
It's safest to record on the drone itself and a cache copy on the CS.

Reactions: Thomas B and Corey
You probably need another SD card for the CS, you need to keep the SD card in the drone for recording the best quality photos and video files.
If you try and record only to the CS your at the mercy of signal interruptions and interference which will affect the quality of the video being transmitted and recorded from the drone.
It's safest to record on the drone itself and a cache copy on the CS.
Okay. I appreciate your help. I guess I'll be buying myself another SD card soon. Thanks

Hey everyone. I have a 5.5 CrystalSky and haven't really messed with it too much since I bought it. When I first got my Pro Platinum I was using my phone and any video or picture I took, it would be in a folder on my phone.

After having the CrystalSky for some time now and actually having some time to mess with my drone, I got it all out and went airborne. I was flying it to the back section of my neighborhood with all the new construction going on. Halfway over there I got an alert saying "cache is full".

I have a 128gb card in the slot of my Pro Platinum, but nothing in my CrystalSky. So am I running out of internal memory on the monitor? Can I take the micro SD card out of the drone and put it in the CrystalSky? Or do I need another micro SD card for both?

It's crazy how much you forget when you don't mess with something for a while. I was having a hard time figuring out what wires went to what and what wires used to charge stuff. Lol [emoji23]

Thanks!
What I don't get is if you go to the trouble of shoot some great footage, why would you not just pull the SD (or plug the drone in) and get the full quality?

Reactions: Thomas B
Okay. I appreciate your help. I guess I'll be buying myself another SD card soon. Thanks

You don't have to get another SD card, just use the SD card in the drone and cache to the internal memory in the CS
You can't cache directly to the CS SD cards anyway, you have to manually transfer the files from the internal memory to them.

Reactions: Thomas B
What I don't get is if you go to the trouble of shoot some great footage, why would you not just pull the SD (or plug the drone in) and get the full quality?
It's been inside the drone since I bought it. I was just confused as to why I kept getting alerts saying my cache was full. I know the CS has two slots for SD cards so I wasn't sure what those were for.

You don't have to get another SD card, just use the SD card in the drone and cache to the internal memory in the CS
You can't cache directly to the CS SD cards anyway, you have to manually transfer the files from the internal memory to them.
Okay. The SD card has been in my drone since I bought it almost two years ago. Since I bought the CS, my time to use it was almost impossible with work, kids, and life. So I ha sent really gotten too familiar with how the CS worked in the first place when it came to memory.

When I used my Pixel 3 XL all the video would be immediately put into a folder on my phone. I'm not seeing that on the CS.

Thanks!
Pardon my ignorance, but with the price of SD cards why would you not have a card in both? Or were you being ironic?

Pardon my ignorance, but with the price of SD cards why would you not have a card in both? Or were you being ironic?
I didn't know there was supposed to be one in both. That's the whole point of my post. I'm trying to figure out if I should keep the one in my drone? Move it to one of the slots in the CS? Or actually have one in the drone and the CS?

Who wants cached video/pics? They are very low quality...
That's what I'm trying to figure out as well. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do in order to record video and take pictures without getting alerts about video stopped recording stopped due to cache.

That's what I'm trying to figure out as well. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do in order to record video and take pictures without getting alerts about video stopped recording stopped due to cache.
I use my M2P mostly and usually fly with my 7.8” CS. I saved all photos and vids to a second SD card I inserted after buying... I use a new card for each flight to protect, save all images as DNG+jpeg, and save all voided at highest quality my flight mode will permit. I have never gotten any warning from the system anywhere.
Just my $0.02

I use my M2P mostly and usually fly with my 7.8” CS. I saved all photos and vids to a second SD card I inserted after buying... I use a new card for each flight to protect, save all images as DNG+jpeg, and save all voided at highest quality my flight mode will permit. I have never gotten any warning from the system anywhere.
Just my $0.02
Inserted into the CS? So you have a SD card in the drone and CS, correct?

I do not save to the card in the CS. Just takes time and battery power to send the files to it... I have set my system to use the SD card in my drone only, as per above.
That's how mine is set up as well. Just can't figure out why I was getting the alert that the cache was full and recording stopped. I've been on YouTube tonight watching videos hoping to find something, but no luck. I'm on vacation next week so I guess I'll try to figure it out when I have more time to mess with it. Thanks

That's how mine is set up as well. Just can't figure out why I was getting the alert that the cache was full and recording stopped. I've been on YouTube tonight watching videos hoping to find something, but no luck. I'm on vacation next week so I guess I'll try to figure it out when I have more time to mess with it. Thanks

The CS has internal memory so if you select "cache during video recording" or "auto sync hd photos" then these will also be saved to the CS internal memory (the cache)

When the internal memory cache is "full" the secondary recording (e.g the caching) will stop on the CS
You can clear the cache manually (transfer out the files to a SD card) or automatically on the in DJI Go4 by selecting "clear cache automatically" in the general settings tab (see first picture attached)
1602056205661.png
1602056289946.png

Reactions: Thomas B and Corey
The CS has internal memory so if you select "cache during video recording" or "auto sync hd photos" then these will also be saved to the CS internal memory (the cache)

When the internal memory cache is "full" the secondary recording (e.g the caching) will stop on the CS
You can clear the cache manually (transfer out the files to a SD card) or automatically on the in DJI Go4 by selecting "clear cache automatically" in the general settings tab (see first picture attached)
View attachment 114591
View attachment 114592
Sorry for the late response. I appreciate your help. I'm kinda confused about this cause before I started using the CS, I was using my phone. All the video and pictures all automatically went into a folder on my phone. I'm trying to figure out how to do that with the CS without it running out of space. So in order to do this, do I need a SD card in both the CS and Mavic?

Sorry for the late response. I appreciate your help. I'm kinda confused about this cause before I started using the CS, I was using my phone. All the video and pictures all automatically went into a folder on my phone. I'm trying to figure out how to do that with the CS without it running out of space. So in order to do this, do I need a SD card in both the CS and Mavic?

I don't believe you can set up the CS to cache to the SD card directly, I haven't seen that option in DJI Go4.
The CS behaves the same way as your phone, the cached videos are saved in it's 64gb of internal memory, but this eventually runs out if you don't transfer them or delete them.
The cached versions of the video files are the low quality copies of what is saved on the SD card in the drone, the cached versions look ok on a small screen (cs or phone screen), but on a larger monitor they are very low res.
For editing and publishing you need to use the full res version of the video from the SD card in the drone, anything saved automatically on the CS by DJI Go4 is a low res version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corey
I don't believe you can set up the CS to cache to the SD card directly, I haven't seen that option in DJI Go4.
The CS behaves the same way as your phone, the cached videos are saved in it's 64gb of internal memory, but this eventually runs out if you don't transfer them or delete them.
The cached versions of the video files are the low quality copies of what is saved on the SD card in the drone, the cached versions look ok on a small screen (cs or phone screen), but on a larger monitor they are very low res.
For editing and publishing you need to use the full res version of the video from the SD card in the drone, anything saved automatically on the CS by DJI Go4 is a low res version.
That is exactly what information I was wanting. Now I understand. So basically, I just record using the internal memory of the CS and then transfer the files I want to the SD card and delete the rest?

One more question since you brought up the quality of the video. Do I use the SD card in the Mavic and put it inside the CS to edit video?

That is exactly what information I was wanting. Now I understand. So basically, I just record using the internal memory of the CS and then transfer the files I want to the SD card and delete the rest?

One more question since you brought up the quality of the video. Do I use the SD card in the Mavic and put it inside the CS to edit video?

To clarify, the DJI system allows (configure in DJI Go4) the recording of two versions of the video file simultaneously, one directly to the SD card (high quality) in the drone and one cached version that is transmitted to the CS or phone and recorded on it's internal memory (low quality and subject to transmission interference). The cached version on the CS is more for emergency record keeping rather than formal use, it allows for a quick preview/review and reshoot if necessary. It's also a record of the flight if you end up loosing the drone and the SD card on it. You can transfer and store the cached version on the CS SD card but this is a bit superflous if you already have the drone SD card high-quality version. The main thing is to have the SD card in the drone to record the high quality files and don't rely on the CS cached versions.

For editing it would be recommended to use the high quality version of the video from the SD card in the drone, downloading it most probably onto a PC or laptop. I've not heard of anyone doing full scale editing on a CS as you need a lot of processing power and ram memory to do this well and the CS does not have this performance. It's better to use dedicated video editing software like the free Davinic Resolve (there is a free version DaVinci Resolve 16 | Blackmagic Design) instead of using DJI Go4 on the CS to do it.

Reactions: Corey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan