DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crystal sky monitor hood

Would it not have been easier/quicker/cheaper to just Dremel the plastic hood instead mate?
As far as modding the plate vs the plastic, (as the guy who did it), and who owns both a dremel and a $20 harbor freight angle grinder, i think the mod of the plate was much easier.

plastic tends to ball up, melt, and nice edges are hard to come by. In contrast, the metal edge is almost perfect. Took about 3 minutes total. :)

Edit,,
also, in this case, when open, you would not see a notch cut into the shade, which i think is important.

As far as modding the plate vs the plastic, (as the guy who did it), and who owns both a dremel and a $20 harbor freight angle grinder, i think the mod of the plate was much easier.

plastic tends to ball up, melt, and nice edges are hard to come by. In contrast, the metal edge is almost perfect. Took about 3 minutes total. :)

Edit,,
also, in this case, when open, you would not see a notch cut into the shade, which i think is important.

Here is a tall order :) Would you mind if you can come up with a Youtube video?? :) hehehe..

Here is a tall order :) Would you mind if you can come up with a Youtube video?? :) hehehe..
sorry, cant go back in time. it's pretty easy though. we put it in a vice, cut off the end, and then grinded it down to flat. that's all.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
Yeah, that looks like it's in the way of holding the controller comfortably, with the weight all in the back rather than centered.

Just ordered the 5. 5 hood to use as a protective cover when packed away.

Reactions: Aerial West
Ok my 5.5 hood arrived and I'm very happy with the build quality and it fits perfectly. Big thumbs up to DJI for this one.

Reactions: AussiAl
Nobody has mentioned what I consider to be the most important point, does it interfere with your access to the sticks. When I hold my crystal sky 5.5” the edge of my palms cross over the top outer edges of the monitor to safely hold it and access the sticks. Looking at the photos with the hood on I am now wondering if it will be in the way of comfortably using the sticks?? Probably too late now as I went ahead and ordered one before I thought of this! Duh!!

Nobody has mentioned what I consider to be the most important point, does it interfere with your access to the sticks. When I hold my crystal sky 5.5” the edge of my palms cross over the top outer edges of the monitor to safely hold it and access the sticks. Looking at the photos with the hood on I am now wondering if it will be in the way of comfortably using the sticks?? Probably too late now as I went ahead and ordered one before I thought of this! Duh!!

Depends on what method you are using to mount the CS. I am now using the DJI CS mount for Mavic Pro and I find it comfortable to use.

yeah, it absolutely does. It's way off balance, and your hands come in from the side instead of the ergonomic way traditional controllers work.

On top of that, it doesn't block most light, and of course your face is still lit up and reflects unless you have the screen not facing you, but off to a side so the reflection goes elsewhere.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661