DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crystal sky monitor hood

Got my two hoods yesterday. Well made, nice tight fit. My only disappointment is that I’ve been using the 7.85” CS with my MavicMount - can’t do anymore if I have the monitor hood attached, shame. The smaller 5.5” attached directly to either the Mavic or Spark with the DJI attachment is perfect.

Reactions: The Ghost
Correction.

Last edited:
Would you guys recommend this as a screen protector versus getting a polar pro case or polar pro hard screen case. I can see how this can server two purposes.

Also, I just ordered the 5.5 CS, what do you mean you press it on to attach it? Does it like clip on or is it like two sided tape? I looked on youtube to see reviews of this and I only see the larger size ones and I like how they attach. They clip on but not sure about the 5.5 version.

Can someone clarify this?

IMHO yes I would recommend it over the PolarPro kit as it does more than protect the screen - it shades it too!

The 5.5 CS simply snaps into place unlike its bigger cousin which utilises two in-built plastic hooks on one length and two hinge-type plastic hooks on the opposite length.

Reactions: DinoYYC
A bit of an update re the CS hoods, particularly the 7.85" one. If, as I am, you use a MavMount with the 7.85 CS, you can't have the hood on as well. Reason? The base of the MavMount, i.e. between the front and rear 'lips' (the front one has 'mavmountcs' engraved on it) is now not wide enough to accommodate the extra width with the hood installed - bummer!

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
Don’t fancy doing a Dremel on the MavMount alloy. I’ve emailed the team who make the MavMount and they are investigating the viability of producing one to fit.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
IMHO yes I would recommend it over the PolarPro kit as it does more than protect the screen - it shades it too!

The 5.5 CS simply snaps into place unlike its bigger cousin which utilises two in-built plastic hooks on one length and two hinge-type plastic hooks on the opposite length.

Hehehe, ok it's not like a two sided tape. The bigger version has latches and the 5.5 version snaps on which is more secure than tape :) which was what I was afraid it would be when you said it just presses on. I'm assuming as well that it is not too difficult to take on and off. I do prefer the latches just for easier secure attachment and removal but I'm sure the 5.5 "snap-on" isn't too difficult to add and remove.

With that said, the last question i need to understand is I am using a MavMount to mount this. (I don't have it yet and will arrive in a couple days). I know that based on what I read, the larger CS versions has issues with a Mavmount. Is this the case with the smaller version. I want to assume that it does because it would extend the area on where it would mount. Can someone confirm?

Don’t fancy doing a Dremel on the MavMount alloy

No mate, me neither :)

I meant take a Dremel to the plastic hood itself.

Although I've not seen the issue so I'm just throwing wild suggestions out there :)

A bit of an update re the CS hoods, particularly the 7.85" one. If, as I am, you use a MavMount with the 7.85 CS, you can't have the hood on as well. Reason? The base of the MavMount, i.e. between the front and rear 'lips' (the front one has 'mavmountcs' engraved on it) is now not wide enough to accommodate the extra width with the hood installed - bummer!

Just to confirm this as well. I did contact MavMount and obviously this is also applicable issue to the smaller hood (5.5). I don't know if this was obvious or not but just want to make it clear.

Reactions: aldo109 and DinoYYC
Mine arrived. I’m impressed by the quality and design. I only ordered for my 5.5 to see what it’s like. I didn’t order for my Ultra
As you know we don’t know how long these Ultra’s will be with us lol

See my post regarding that issue. Will be meeting with MavMount manufacturer in-person this week.

Can the hood by placed any way around? As i see in your pictures it seems that the hood can be placed upside down on the crystalsky?

Yes, the hood can be place in any orientation to suit something like a mav mount as opposed to the upside down DJI Mavic Pro CS mount

Can you touch all of the screen real-estate ok?

I mean, pressing top left and top right of the screen, can you get your finger(s) in there ok?

I’m fortunate enough to live in close proximity to the MavMount manufacturer and was able to get my MavMount modified with a simple angle grinder. MavMount is now well aware of the issue and will more than likely be redesigning to accommodate the CrystalSky monitor hood. Check out the modification after 5 minutes of using a $25 angle grinder...
IMG_1715.JPG

Would it not have been easier/quicker/cheaper to just Dremel the plastic hood instead mate?

I’m fortunate enough to live in close proximity to the MavMount manufacturer and was able to get my MavMount modified with a simple angle grinder. MavMount is now well aware of the issue and will more than likely be redesigning to accommodate the CrystalSky monitor hood. Check out the modification after 5 minutes of using a $25 angle grinder...
View attachment 36660

I actually contact mavmount about this as well and although they are aware of this, they really didn't give me any solutions. I still love my mavmount I just wished that I had the ability to have the option of getting the hood which will work with my mavmount.

Unfortunately, I also don't want to keep buying mavmounts as I already went from a mavmount 2 to a mavmount 3 so I can use it on the air. sigh. I also have like all the mounts from mavmount already for all different possibilities with my iPad mini 4 and other devices.

Last edited:
Would it not have been easier/quicker/cheaper to just Dremel the plastic hood instead mate?

Is this possible? I don't know the design of the hood but i'm sure it would be an easy thing to do with the dremmel. Can someone take a pic of the hood to see what I would have to dremmel? Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable to take an angle grinder to the mount.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada