DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cx mark DJI drone in EU

+1
It's been over 6 months since the regulations have come into force, and DJI have released drones since then, but there's not even a whisper from DJI about launching one with a C marking. I'm specially miffed because an Air 2 (which is what I have) should fall within a C1 rating if they just did some firmware updates and if the regs allowed retro-marking. Seems like the regulators and the manufacturers are just trying to maximise sales by delaying new certified models and not allowing the retrospective marking...

Seems like the regulators and the manufacturers are just trying to maximise sales by delaying new certified models and not allowing the retrospective marking...
Buy a Mini or a Mini 2 and you're good to go (without further restrictions) even after January 2023.

Wasn’t that exactly my point…?
Sorry, I didn't read it that way. You were complaining about the lack of drones officially certified in the new classes and suggesting that you thought this was to maximise sales. I was simply pointing out that some existing drones (which are themselves not officially certified) will continue to be relatively unrestricted when all of the other current drones will potentially be much more seriously affected after the end of 2022.

Sorry, I didn't read it that way. You were complaining about the lack of drones officially certified in the new classes and suggesting that you thought this was to maximise sales. I was simply pointing out that some existing drones (which are themselves not officially certified) will continue to be relatively unrestricted when all of the other current drones will potentially be much more seriously affected after the end of 2022.
Apologies - I came off quite tarty - didn't meant to. Actually it's interesting because any non Cx marked drone will only be in the A3 category after 1/1/23 - mini or not I believe.

Even the new minis will need to have an MTOM of under 250g to be a C0 which it won't have - it will be over 250 for sure. (note MTOM isn't just flying weight - it's maximum certified takeoff weight, so what it CAN do rather than what it does do)...

Actually it's interesting because any non Cx marked drone will only be in the A3 category after 1/1/23 - mini or not I believe.

Even the new minis will need to have an MTOM of under 250g to be a C0 which it won't have - it will be over 250 for sure. (note MTOM isn't just flying weight - it's maximum certified takeoff weight, so what it CAN do rather than what it does do)...
That's not the case for the Mini/Mini 2. Section 2.2.1.4 of CAP 722 discusses the interpretation of mass/weight and says:

Although the UAS Regulations make reference to ‘maximum take-off mass’ (MTOM) throughout, as defined in Article 2 of the UAS IR, this term creates some confusion when referring to ‘home built’ or other ‘legacy’ unmanned aircraft where an MTOM has not been defined by the manufacturer. The term ‘take-off mass’ is also used when referring to legacy aircraft, but only within one article (Article 22 – transitional arrangements) and the term is not specifically defined.

To clarify the situation the UK interprets these terms within the Open category only as follows:

• Unmanned aircraft marked with a Class marking (C0 to C4) – MTOM will continue to be used as defined

Unmanned aircraft without a Class marking – any reference to MTOM or ‘take-off mass’ should be taken to mean the weight of the unmanned aircraft at the point of take-off for that particular flight (which is referred to as the ‘flying weight’)

So in the case of the Mini and Mini 2, which are both considered legacy aircraft without a class marking, the weight of the drone at the point of take-off applies. In other words, unless you've added anything to it (prop guards, strobes etc,), it will still fall into the sub-250g category. Consequently, unlike all other DJI legacy drones, both of them will continue to have the same privileges as C0 class drones after 1 January 2023.

Reactions: Alan_M
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kzenoxx